Injector cleaning with your own hands
Nozzles injector engine should be cleaned about once every 40,000 km mileage.
Dirty injectors create increased fuel consumption, sluggish acceleration, spike idle speed.
It is not recommended to use chemicals for injector flushing, as they are the increased means of contamination of injectors.
The cost of cleaning injectors in auto services is approximately 1500 rubles, but to clean them under force and their own hands.
To clean the injectors with your own hands will need:
- Carburetor cleaner (about 2 cans);
- A brake hose;
- Duct tape;
- Plastic clamps for electrical wiring;
- A piece of 2-conductor wire; 12 volt;
- Knife (office or other)
Nozzles cleaning process
Removing fuel rail to clean injectors:
- 1. Disconnect the “minus” wire from the battery.
- 2. Remove the ramp with fuel pressure regulator.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the regulator.
- 4. With two “on 17” wrenches unscrew the connectors of fuel pipes, bleeding fuel pressure. 5.
5. Disconnect the electrical connector of the ramp.
6. With a Phillips screwdriver loosen the screw of the fuel tube mounting bracket… and remove it.
7. Unscrew the two screws fixing the ramp with a “5” hex screwdriver.
8. 8. Pulling the ramp along the axis of the injectors, remove all four injectors from their seats and remove the ramp in the direction of the left side of the car.
1. By squeezing the spring clip, disconnect the electrical connector of the injector. 2.
2. use a screwdriver to slide the nozzle retainer along the ramp … and remove it. 3.
3. Shaking the nozzle, remove it from the ramp.
4. 4. Using a screwdriver with a thin tip, remove the o-rings…from the nozzle and nozzle body.
Making a homemade device for cleaning nozzles
1) We cut off a metal nut from a rubber brake hose, which is pressed on one side.
2) Put the cut end of the hose on the nozzle, and fix it with a plastic clamp by tightening.
3) At the other end of the hose put the tube, which is included in the carburetor cleaner kit (if the kit does not have one, use the tube from the liquid WD-40). The space left between the tube and the brake hose can be filled with fum tape, unilock or use the remains of soundproofing material. After that we wrap it tightly with the insulating tape.
Fig. 1, 2, 3. Homemade device for injectors cleaning.
4) Cleaning nozzles occurs when applying voltage to the nozzle at 12 V, and not to burn the winding of the nozzle zapitaya consistently light bulb at 12V to the plus wire in the wire on the mass do a break, putting a switch or clips type crocodile, or using the button works only when you click on it. The whole circuit is connected to the battery.
Scheme of switching on the nozzle for cleaning.
Injector cleaning with your own hands
- We create pressure in the brake hose, for this we press the sprayer several times.
- We press the button and apply voltage to the nozzle, the nozzle begins to spray.
- 3) Do not forget to press and hold the spray gun to maintain pressure in the hose.
- 4) Clean the nozzle until the spraying from the nozzle is even.
After cleaning the injectors, put them back on the fuel rail, using new o-rings on all injectors on the ramp side.
Install new sealing rings very carefully, without using any tools, having previously lubricated them with engine oil or WD-40 liquid.
Install the injectors in the order reverse to the removal, fixing them on the ramp with clamps, preliminarily tightening them a little.
Reinstall the fuel ramp, connect the fuel line, secure the terminal “mass” on the battery, turn the ignition key 3-4 times in the lock at intervals of 2-3 seconds to create pressure in the fuel ramp, and check the tightness of the connection line and injectors.
P.S. It is also necessary after cleaning injectors to change the fuel filter, and preferably a grid gasoline pump, and fill only at proven gas stations, and better 95 gasoline.
How to wash injectors with your own hands.
Injector nozzles of both injector and diesel engines clog over time. This happens because there are small impurities in the fuel, which the filter is not able to leave on its body (and even more so if it is old and/or low-quality). There are injector cleaners for sale, designed for professional cleaning and more affordable for cleaning with your own hands. Besides car owners have thought up some not complicated methods, allowing with the help of improvised means in garage conditions to make cleaning of injectors, the quality analogs to professional cleanings on stands. If you have thoughts or your own suggestions about this – share them in the comments.
Method one – with the help of a carburetor cleaner
If instead of a special tool for cleaning injectors you have stashed carbcleaner, you can in garage conditions perform cleaning of the gasoline injector yourself even with a carburetor cleaner from a can, instead of buying a liquid for the injector. Below we will describe one of such methods. For the work you will need:
- two pieces of clean rags, a knife and an awl;
- copper insulated wire with a small cross section and about one meter long;
- plastic ties and duct tape;
- a 9-volt electric battery (a popular “Krona”);
- A piece of oxygen hose about 4. 5 cm long; (when selecting, pay attention that the working cap of the cylinder fits the inner diameter of the oxygen hose and it can be inserted inside);
- Protective glasses and gloves.
It is necessary to work with the carbcleaner carefully, using the personal protective equipment, therefore it is necessary to wear goggles and gloves beforehand. Work algorithm:
Cleaning injectors with carbcleaner: video
- Remove the injector from the fuel manifold and clean it from outside with a rag (it is better to remove rubber seals from it beforehand);
- cut a piece of wire into equal parts and clean the insulation on one side of the resulting wires with a knife;
- connect the stripped ends of wires to the battery with tape;
- on the opposite ends of the wires with an awl slightly expand the insulation for further connection to the nozzle;
- make a hole in the cap of the carbcleaner with an awl in its upper part;
- insert the cap into the rubber hose (the “native” hole of the cap will be plugged by the hose) and clamp them with a plastic clamp;
- to install the received adapter on the tank of carbcleaner;
- cleaned from outside nozzle connect to the adapter from the rubber hose and squeeze with a clamp;
- connect the nozzle to the battery, and you will hear a click, indicating that the nozzle is open;
- put the nozzle adapter on the carburetor cleaner bottle;
- gently apply pressure (push);
- At the same time carburetor cleaner will come out through the nozzle in a vertical jet (this is what the goggles are for!).
Clean until the flare is even. After one cleaning you need to turn the nozzle upside down and repeat the operation. Then you can move on to cleaning the rest of the injectors.
The second method – with the help of a flushing cylinder
This method can also be performed in the garage with improvised means, it is good that there is no need to dismantle the engine injectors, but as a cleaning composition you will need to buy solvent (vins, lavr, hi gir or other). To work you will need:
A cylinder with a filter attached
- A clean two liter plastic bottle with a tightly closing cap;
- a compressor (to be able to deliver 3 atmospheres);
- flushing fluid (about one liter);
- drill and drill bit with a diameter of 13 mm;
- two clamps (12. 14 mm);
- fuel filter;
- two car nipples;
- 12 mm diameter hose about one meter long;
The work algorithm is as follows:
- on both sides of the bottle (on the bottom and on the lid) drill a hole;
- in the bottom of the bottle to screw in a nipple with a screwed valve;
- screw a nipple without a valve into the cap;
After that you should start the engine and let it idle for 15 minutes and rest for 15 minutes. Then start the engine again and let it run until the bottle runs out of cleaning fluid. When the engine stalls, you must gently bleed the pressure from the bottle! This can either be done with a nipple or simply by gently unscrewing the cap.
After that you can disassemble the resulting system, connect the fuel hose back in place, and return the plug to its original position. After everything is assembled, you need to start the engine and let the car run for 5. 10 minutes. It is extremely desirable to change the oil and spark plugs (especially the spark plugs) after performing the described procedure.
The method of cleaning is quite simple, but it has a significant disadvantage – the lack of visual control of the state of the injectors. It may well be used for preventive purposes in case of suspicion that the injectors are clogged.
The third method – adding acetone
On numerous forums on the Internet you can find many topics on whether you should add acetone to the gas tank. Despite the fact that official representatives of car manufacturers and refiners don’t say a word about it, many domestic (and not only) car owners add a small amount of pure acetone to the used gasoline.
Such action leads firstly to increase octane number of gasoline, and secondly, it has a cleaning effect on the elements of the fuel system (cleans carbon deposits) and binds water in the gasoline and removes it together with the exhaust gases. As a rule, the effect of using acetone is felt after it has been added to a full (or nearly full) tank of gasoline and this fuel has subsequently been burned while driving.
A few words about the proportions. The amount of acetone added to gasoline depends, firstly, on the octane number, and secondly, on the quality of the fuel (admixture of water and harmful impurities in it). If the gasoline is good, it is enough to add 30 ml for every 10 liters of gasoline. As it gets worse, the amount of acetone may increase up to 150 ml per 10 liters of gasoline. However, do not get too carried away with adding acetone! This is due to the fact that since it increases the octane number, if its value is exceeded compared to that for which the engine is designed, it can lead to a gradual failure of the engine. And the higher the value is, the faster the engine will “break down”.
The fourth method – the use of Dimexide
To clean the injectors, you can also use the popular drug Dimexid, sold in any pharmacy, and costing very inexpensive. So, to work you will need:
- preparation Dimexide (500 ml or more, depending on the degree of contamination);
- A clean container of liquid with a lid, for example a bottle with a tightly closing cap of about 500 ml;
- two nipples;
- a drill (screwdriver) and a 13 mm drill bit (nipple diameter);
- four containers in the form of tubes, which will collect contaminated liquid from nozzles (separately for each nozzle);
- Battery or 12-volt power supply;
- air hose;
- solvent “Solvent”.
The procedure of cleaning consists of the following steps:
- Disassembly of the ramp with nozzles.
- Creation of stand for flushing.
- Inspection of injectors for productivity (they are mounted with the ramp on the stand with transparent vessels, for evaluation of spray jet and amount of released fuel).
- Soaking of separate injectors in a container with dimethoxide (necessarily in vertical position so that this aggressive remedy would not get on rubber seals).
- Flushing injectors with dimethoxy under pressure for 10-15 minutes.
- Flushing with solvent and blowing out with compressed air (so that there is no product left in the injector).
Flushing nozzles with dimethoxide is done similarly to the method using the installation with a cylinder. Therefore, you will first need to:
- make some structure to rigidly mount the removed ramp on it;
- Drill the lid of an empty container, and install one of the nipples there;
- Drill the bottom of the jar and screw the second nipple there as well;
- connect the bottom nipple with a clamp to a rubber hose, and the other end of the hose connect to the ramp;
- assemble the circuit with the help of wires, bringing their ends in parallel and connecting them to the power supply outputs, preferably through a button (normally open);
- fill in a container with cleaning liquid and close the lid tightly;
- with the help of a compressor to pump up the pressure of about 2 atmospheres;
The supply of the cleaner is regulated by the button (in intermittent mode) to switch on and off the nozzles.
As practice and numerous experiments conducted by various car owners show, Dimexid can get rid of dirt even on very stale and riddled injectors. However, remember that Dimexid also has harmful properties. In particular, heated Dimexid dissolves not only soot, but also paint, and in general is considered a rather aggressive substance.
Before installing the fuel ramp back in its original place, it is advisable to replace the lower sealing rings. The fact is that over time they wear out and tear. It is also advisable to apply silicone grease to them beforehand.
As you can see, the self-cleaning of injector nozzles in the garage conditions is quite acceptable and effective. However, it should be performed, firstly, provided that you are sure that you will do everything correctly, that is, you have experience in performing such repairs. Secondly, the degree of contamination of injectors is medium or low. If the injector is clogged very strongly, it makes sense to ask for help in the car service, where you will wash the injectors with a liquid or ultrasonic cleaning unit. And to prevent contamination of injectors, you can regularly use cleaning additives.