Anti-rain with their own hands: three ways of preparation from paraffin, laundry conditioner and building sealant
Today, such means as “anti-rain” is increasingly gaining popularity among drivers. It is applied to car windows and forms a protective layer. Thanks to this, precipitation does not stay on the windows, and fly away under the influence of air flow.
What is anti-rain?
Before you apply the product, it is necessary to thoroughly clean the glass from dirt and dust, and do not forget to degrease it.
To do this, you need to wash the glass with an ordinary window cleaner and use isopropyl alcohol to remove grease.
You should not ignore the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations on the use of the product. This will allow you to achieve the maximum effect and by all parameters to assess the property of the product.
What is included in the composition of the anti-rain remover
As a rule, you can find polymeric components and silicone in the composition of this product.
“Anti-rain” is available in different forms:
- Liquid. The means in this state does not have a dispenser. Therefore, each time you will need to wet a cloth with the composition and use it to apply to the glass surface. This is not very convenient, in addition, it is not always feasible. And also it is not economical, because the flow is not limited to the dispenser, and each time the means will be poured then more, then less.
- Wipes. This is an expensive type of product. Wipes impregnated with “anti-rain” compound are easy to use. They do their job well, but give a short-lived result. It is a good idea to have them available as a backup.
- Ampoules. This is a high-quality and inexpensive compound. It retains its effect for up to 5 months. It has a cost of about 500 rubles.
- The spray is the most affordable type of product. It comes in cans with a dispenser and is applied by spraying. This makes it easy to apply. The minimum price of the composition ranges from 100 to 200 rubles.
Recipe of anti-rain (do it yourself)
Such a solution is quite possible to make with their own hands. Here’s what you will need for this:
- Silicone oil;
- Laundry conditioner.
Depending on the base taken, the preparation of the composition will be different.
A rather simple but effective remedy can be prepared with a paraffin candle.
- Paraffin candle 10 g;
- “White spirit” 100 g;
- A non-woven cloth.
In order to prepare the composition, it is necessary:
- Grind a paraffin candle on a fine grater.
- Pour the paraffin shavings with solvent.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Apply the composition to a clean and degreased surface in an even layer.
- It is necessary to wait a certain amount of time and wipe the surface well.
This composition is completely harmless to glass, fairly easy to prepare and apply, leaving no streaks. This is a budget option with a duration of action of about 2 months.
Anti-rain on silicone basis
Despite the fact that the remedy turns out to be quite inexpensive, the effect is in no way inferior to the expensive “anti-rain” remedy.
It is a perfectly safe composition for all elements of the car trim. How do I use silicone oil?
- To treat the windshield, apply a small amount of oil to the wiper blades and rub them with a cloth.
- Turn on the wipers and wait for them to distribute the substance on the glass.
- To treat other windows, also apply and rub with any suitable material.
Anti-Rain on the basis of fabric softener
To prepare this composition, an ordinary laundry rinse agent is used.
To prepare the solution, you will need:
- One capful of any rinse aid.
- An empty five-liter bottle.
- Pour the rinse aid into the empty bottle.
- Add three liters of running water, stir.
- Pour the liquid into the windshield washer reservoir.
- Then spray the glass.
The whole procedure is quite simple in use and available to absolutely every user of the car. But this method still has a disadvantage in the form of a film, which is especially noticeable in the daytime.
Anti-rain on the basis of sealant
Such a means as a construction sealant can find application in the manufacture of “anti-rain”.
It will require:
- “White spirit” solvent (50 grams).
- A teaspoon of sealant.
- Plastic bottle.
Motorists with experience advise the use of effective and quite popular neutral silicone sealant “Moment”.
- Pour solvent into the container.
- Add the sealant.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Apply to the surface.
Such a composition is well applied with a spray gun. After spraying, wipe the surface with a lint-free cloth to avoid leaving streaks. Thanks to this composition the glass is reliably protected from precipitation and dirt. It is easy to prepare such a composition, and everyone can do it.
Is it worth buying the “Anti-Rain” product?
Such inconspicuous protection is perfect for use on side windows, mirrors or headlights.
The windshield should be better cleaned and washed, and if necessary, use “wipers”. It’s more budget-friendly and safer.
But the invisible wiper can also be a good help, for example, if the “wipers” break down, or when driving at high speed, when conventional wipers can not cope.
Is it possible to prolong the work of the water-repellent film?
There is no way to do it, because the film is nothing but a chemical substance that is applied to the glass. And the use of washers and conventional wipers will shorten its service life.
Adhering to the given recommendations, using the suggested recipes and detailed instructions, it is quite possible to prepare your own invisible glass cleaner.
These methods are much cheaper, but no less effective compared to expensive means.
What varnish to choose to cover headlights after polishing?
In the process of using the car headlight diffusers are covered with a mesh of scratches and become cloudy, worsening the conditions of road illumination. To restore the characteristics, treatment of surfaces with abrasive materials is made. The technician needs to varnish the headlights after polishing, providing additional protection of the plastic from external climatic and mechanical influences.
Why varnish headlights?
In the early 2000s, plastic headlights began to be used on a mass scale on cars, which cause less injury to pedestrians in a collision. An additional advantage was the ability to manufacture lighting equipment of complex geometric configuration. The disadvantages of plastic diffusers are low mechanical strength and loss of transparency under the influence of sunlight and road reagents. With the degradation of the material deteriorates the appearance of the car and reduces the effectiveness of road lighting in the dark.
To remove minor mechanical damage, the headlamp surface is polished by hand or with an electric tool. At the same time a thin layer of the factory lacquer comes off, increasing the resistance of the plastic to ultraviolet light. As a result, the shiny headlamp becomes cloudy within 3-6 months and needs to be cleaned again. The application of a layer of lacquer prevents the accelerated degradation of the plastic, protects the material from external climatic factors and maintains the attractive appearance of the headlights for 2-3 years.
Types of varnish for headlights
Protective varnishes for headlamps are commonly divided into categories according to:
- type of headlight material (organic plastic or quartz glass);
- purpose (to prevent damage and to change the color of the diffuser);
- speed of polymerization;
- volume content of the solvent and the dry residue that forms the protective film.
The HS standard varnish is characterized by a reduced solvent volume content. The coating has a glossy surface. It is sufficient to apply 1-2 coats with intermediate drying to treat a headlight. MS materials have a higher concentration of solvent and are designed to be applied in 2-3 layers.
UHS lacquers are fast curing and create a strong protective layer that can withstand sand and small stones.
Varnishes are divided into types according to their chemical composition:
- Based on polyurethane resins. Supplied in pressurized aerosol cans. After application and polymerization, it protects the plastic of the diffuser from mechanical effects. The material is sprayed on the lighting equipment installed on the car (it is necessary to seal the painted body panels with masking tape).
- Acrylic-based. It is characterized by rapid polymerization and poor penetrating ability. The protective material applied to the plastic surface does not fill small potholes and cracks, therefore it is recommended to use varnish for glass headlight treatment.
- Based on a 2-component mixture consisting of varnish and hardener. The components are mixed before application on the surface. It has good adhesion to different surfaces and withstands external mechanical and climatic influences.
Common brands of headlight polishes include:
- Japanese Spot-On for professional use, which comes in 125 ml bottles and features a high price (from 8.5 thousand rubles per set);
- Lens Clear by Body Company, designed for small shops or self application (cost from 700 rubles per bottle);
- Infinity from the manufacturer Delta Kits, designed for professional use. The price for the kit is 800 rubles (total capacity of bottles in a set of 15 ml).
Spot-On varnish from the manufacturer Kovax is a 2-component mixture. The reagents are mixed before application. The material is designed to restore the brightness and luminosity of polycarbonate headlights. The solution fills small irregularities, but is not suitable for products with cracks on the surface of the diffuser. It is recommended to use a sprayer for application, the shelf life of the mixture is 2 hours at ambient temperature +20 ° C. Dust that has entered the lacquer must be removed with Tolecut and Kovax finishing paste.
The colorless varnish Lens Clear is supplied in a 400 ml aerosol can. The product is ready to use. Shake the container before application to mix the components. When processing, apply 2 layers, providing protection to polycarbonate from UV radiation and sand. The manufacturer allows the lacquer to be used both in professional workshops and garages. The advantage of the material is its fast polymerization that reduces the risk of dust adhesion on the liquid lacquer.
Infinity is a protective varnish composed of 2 components that must be mixed before application. It is recommended to treat the headlight surfaces with a special degreaser called Delta Kits to ensure adhesion. To accelerate the curing process, use heat from switched on low or high beam headlamps or external sources. For additional protection against chips on the surface of the lacquer glued polyethylene armor.
Technology of headlights coating with lacquer
Before applying lacquer it is necessary:
- Remove traces of road dirt and sticking insects from the surface of the headlight and the area of the body around the lights.
- Wipe the surfaces with a dry cloth or wipes to remove any moisture residue.
- Remove the headlamp from the vehicle (mounting depends on the manufacturer, on some vehicles it will be necessary to remove the front bumper) or cover the glass with protective tape.
- Remove scratches with 1000 grit sandpaper. Polish the headlamp in succession using a reduced grit abrasive and periodically wetting the surface with water. If you have a grinder the cleaning process is accelerated, but you should constantly move the tool on the treated plane. It is necessary to completely remove the factory protective coating, which will ensure the high quality of the subsequent processing of the varnish.
Pre-treatment of surfaces reduces the distortion of light from reflectors.
Subsequent varnish coating is a finishing operation that allows you to fix the condition of the windows of the lights. By applying a protective layer on the scratched diffusers, the quality of road lighting deteriorates, and the varnish will begin to peel after the first trip in rainy weather.
Tools and materials
To perform the work yourself will be required:
- clean cloths or rags;
- a detergent to remove dirt from headlight panes;
- a protective adhesive tape;
- a neutral solvent for removing grease stains (e.g. isopropyl alcohol);
- an electric sander with an elastic nozzle;
- sandpaper with a grain size of 1,000 to 2,500 units;
- protective varnish;
- tank for mixing components (will be required in case of using 2-component material);
- Construction hair dryer with adjustable air temperature (to accelerate the polymerization process).
Instructions for applying lacquer
Algorithm of actions when applying a protective layer on the headlights:
- Mix the components in a separate container and shake the solution thoroughly, avoiding foreign objects in the liquid. There should be no dust in the room, which will be deposited on the varnish and reduce the quality of the treatment. If using a spray can, shake the can for 1-2 minutes.
- Moisten a lint-free cloth with the solution and apply it to the headlight glass. When working, you need to move your hand from the top corner of the headlight down, paint strips should overlap each other. The material must be applied quickly (until it begins to cure or lose its fluidity). If you are using an aerosol, the jet of liquid must be directed at the headlamp glass to obtain an even coating.
- Re-coat and then pause for up to 1 hour. After curing it is necessary to remove the protective tape. Do not wash the glass or apply mechanical impacts during the day.
Advice from the experts
Advice from experienced craftsmen:
- Prior to lacquer treatment, polycarbonate glass should not be polished with a fine paste. Smooth surface impairs the adhesion of dissimilar materials.
- To prevent streaking, polishing should be carried out alternately, changing the direction of movement at right angles.
- During the processing of scatterers, it is necessary to smoothly reduce the grain size, preventing the formation of defects on the surface. Excessive force leads to sagging or cracking of parts.
- When treating headlamps with 2-component lacquer, it is necessary to knead small portions (the shelf life of the solution does not exceed 5 minutes).
- It is recommended to work at an ambient temperature of +20. +25°С.
To accelerate the polymerization of the varnish, you can turn on the dipped headlight or supply heated air with a construction hair dryer. The technique reduces the risk of dust settling. After the pre-drying, leave the headlights for 1-2 hours for the solvent to evaporate naturally. It should be noted that independent application of varnish requires the owner of the car to be careful and skilled in painting work. In the absence of experience, it is recommended to contact a service center, which will save time.