How to properly install and mount the transponder on the windshield in the car
Not long ago, it was possible to travel on any automobile road absolutely free of charge. However at the moment there are more and more highways of federal and regional importance with tolls. So you have to pay to cross them. At that, you have to pay with a special device – a transponder.
It is necessary to note that most cars are not equipped with transponders and thus one will have to buy and install it himself. But before to do it, one should understand how to mount the transponder correctly.
Conditions and peculiarities of the transponder application
Before you get down to installing a transponder, it is necessary to get acquainted with its description and peculiarities of its use.
Transponder is an on-board electronic device for cars and motorcycles, by means of which the payment is made automatically when using toll roads.
Some motorists think that it is quite difficult to use such a device. In fact, any car owner will be able to use it without any problems.
In order for the transponder, previously installed on the car, to work and the payment to take place, it is necessary to adhere to the following rules:
- Select one of the special lanes for further passage through the point where the toll will be collected.
- Carefully observe the distance to the car or motorcycle ahead. It should be at least ten metres. If your distance is too short, your transponder may not be triggered correctly.
- Watch your speed. It should not exceed 35 km/h.
- Approach the barrier slowly and wait for it to open.
When passing through the toll booth, the transponder sends a signal to special equipment. Then the vehicle data is recorded and the toll is charged.
It is recommended to mount the device only on the windscreen of the car
Rules of mounting
Every motorist, before installing a transponder, should learn in advance about the peculiarities of attaching this device. There are a few rules that must necessarily be taken into account during installation:
- For a more reliable mounting of the transponder it is necessary to use a special bracket. Most often it is sold together with the device. However, if it is not in the set, then you will have to buy the bracket yourself.
- The device should be mounted only on the windshield. At the same time, you should fix it so that it does not interfere with watching the road.
- Before you install the transponder on the car, the windshield must be thoroughly wiped so that there is no moisture on it. The device should not be allowed to come into contact with water.
Some people who do not know where to mount the transponder, install it on the front panel of the car. However, you should not do so. The device will function properly only if it is mounted on the windshield.
Before attaching the device, the front window of the car should be thoroughly washed and degreased
How and where to install a transponder without a holder
In order to securely attach the device, you will have to figure out in advance how to properly attach the transponder. There are several useful recommendations that will help you put it on cars and trucks.
People who have purchased this device for the first time, do not know how to properly attach it to the car. Therefore, it is worth familiarizing yourself with a simple step-by-step instruction that will help install it:
- Thoroughly wash the glass. First, you need to clean the surface of the glass of dirt.
- Degrease the glass. For degreasing, alcohol or special cleaning cloths are suitable.
- Remove the protective film from the device. This should be done very carefully so as not to accidentally damage the transponder.
After performing the above steps, you need to press the device to the glass and hold for 20 seconds for a more secure fixation.
The area behind the front mirror is the optimal place for attaching the transponder
Features of installation on a passenger car
Most often people have to install this device on a passenger car. Many people think that it is quite difficult to do this. In fact, any person who has never done this kind of work can cope with such work.
It is necessary to figure out exactly where to glue the transponder. It is necessary to place it in the upper part of the windshield. The optimal place is the area behind the front mirror. In this case, you shouldn’t glue it right near the roof. It is necessary to glue it at a distance of 7-8 centimeters from it.
Choosing the most suitable place, you must also take into account the location of built-in car heating system. The fact is that the heater should not be too close.
You can use a terminal to recharge the device
Peculiarities of installation on a truck car
Some people have to install this device on a truck. In this case, you will have to fix it at the bottom of the windshield. At the same time, it should be placed so that it does not interfere with the windshield wipers.
The device must be installed in such a place on the front windshield, that within a radius of 10 centimeters from it there are no additional elements. If there is anything near it, it can start to malfunction seriously.
Connection and setup
How the directional stability system works in an extreme situation
Some people think that transponders need additional connection and setup. However, it is not necessary to understand how to connect a transponder. The fact is that such a device is initially configured and ready for operation.
The only thing to do is to register a personal account on the official website of the manufacturer of the used unit and link an account to it.
It is worth noting that before using the device, you will have to replenish the account in advance. There are several ways that allow you to do this:
- Through a personal account. This is the easiest method of recharging. In this case, you need to go to your personal account on the manufacturer’s website and use your cell phone or bank card to recharge your account.
- Through terminals. This method of recharge is suitable if you cannot use your personal cabinet.
- At partner fuel stations. This method is the most popular among the inhabitants of big cities.
There are other ways to deposit money into your account. For example, you can use online banking applications for this purpose. Some of them have built-in functionality that allows you to transfer funds for further payment through the car transponder.
If the device is attached by means of Velcro, you can try to take it off by hand
How to remove
One-way traffic sign: what prohibits, allows, and coverage area
There are situations when it is necessary to move the device from one vehicle to another. In this case, it will have to remove it independently.
To dismantle the device with your own hands from the windshield, you need to carefully pick it up with a flat screwdriver or a knife. It is recommended to carry out this procedure when the front window is warmed up to +15 ° C.
Transponder is an indispensable device that allows you to drive on toll roads without problems. People who have to use not only free highways should buy this device. Thus it is necessary to learn beforehand where to hang a transponder in the car and how to install it correctly.
How to install and use the transponder “T-pass”
Every driver, who has decided to use the transponder “T-pass”, should know the rules of its installation, as the normal functioning of this device depends on it. At first sight it seems quite simple, because the transponder has to be installed on the windscreen of the car.
But there are nuances, because if the device is not attached in a special zone of radio signal action, then no charges will be made when passing through a toll-collection point (BCP). The driver will have to stop to pay the toll through the cashier.
Therefore, the transponder must be installed correctly:
- In cars, it is mounted behind the rearview mirror on the windshield. In trucks – on the same windshield inside the car, but below, just above the wipers.
- Particular attention when installing the transponder must be given to owners of cars with athermal windshield coating (i.e. with a sputtering of silver ions). Such protective film doesn’t let any signals through, that’s why the transponder shall be fixed in the special zone, where there is no such coverage. It is located in a specified area of the rear-view mirror on the windshield and is easily detected visually.
Important: When locating the transponder, please note that it has to be at a distance of about one and a half meters from the road surface.
The principle of operation of the transponder is as follows: it transmits a signal which is picked up by the PVP antenna. The signal can be picked up by the equipment at the SPR no further than 10 m from the toll booth. In order to drive through the barrier without problems the driver must keep a distance of at least 2m in front of the car ahead.
Only then you will be able to pass through the toll plaza without stopping. Otherwise, a car passing closely in front of you will also be able to pass through the barrier, as the barrier will be raised by the signal of your transponder.
When installing this device, it is important for the car owner to observe the following rules:
- Prepare the place for mounting the transponder – it must be clean, dry and degreased. To do this, wipe the glass with a soft cloth using special means. For the device to hold well on the glass, it should not be icy at the time of attachment – if necessary, warm it up to +15.
- Try on how the transponder will be positioned. It should be in a horizontal position, with the antenna to the glass (never in the opposite direction, otherwise the transmitter will not work), and only then gently remove the protective cover from the mount. Install the device without touching the sticky base of the mount. Check that the transponder is fully glued to the glass.
- After fixing the transponder on the glass, hold it for a few seconds with your hand in this position – for better adhesion of the surfaces.
If you have to take the transponders out of the car for any reason (e.g. to give them to the staff at the VHF or the Service Center), just take them off gently from the fixture.
Attention! As with any technical device, the transponder must not be exposed to water or chemicals; it must not be dropped, bumped or otherwise mechanically damaged or dismantled. Each driver should carefully read the instruction on installation of this device in order not to have problems with its operation.
All car owners should know what the sound signals produced by the transponder mean. When passing through toll booths, the device may emit one to four beeps.
They symbolize whether or not the toll has been paid and also notify the driver of the account status:
- If the transponder doesn’t make a single beep while passing through the Toll Road, it means no money has been charged to the account.
- If you hear one beep – your transponder has been detected by the payment point equipment and the money transfer has been made safely.
- Two beeps issued by the transponder when crossing the SPR is also a good sign, as it symbolizes the successful payment, but warns the driver that there is not much money left in his account after the money has been deducted.
- If your transponder has given you four signals at once, this means that you cannot pay the fare by debiting your account. The reason for this may be a malfunction in the device itself, or not enough money on your account.
For example, if you incorrectly installed a transponder on a car with an athermal protective film, it will not work. Similarly, it is impossible to write off money from the account of the device, if it is not activated. The transponder is activated after half an hour to two hours (maximum – within a day) from the moment when you put money on its account. Therefore, if you are going to have a paid trip, please take care of loading the account beforehand.
Important! The incorrect operation of the transponder may also be due to the fact that it is not the only device in the car.
If you have two or more transponders in the car, money can be taken from any of them (or both at once), regardless of your will and desire. In this case, one of the devices should be put in a special bag with a zipper fastener (sold in sales centers and online stores). This is a guarantee that you will not have any misunderstandings about payment at the checkpoint. In the same way it is worth putting the transponder in the bag if you want to pay the fare at the ticket office yourself, without resorting to this device.
If it is not possible to pass in the usual mode with the use of the transponder through the payment point, you will have to carefully disconnect it, and, after contacting the cashier at the SPR, ask the employee to write off the toll from the device manually.