The overpass (The hill on the driving range)
In the next article of the series “Passing the driving range with a bang” we will discuss how to pass the exercise “overpass” (hill) which becomes a stumbling block for many candidates for a driving license.
In fact you can pass this exercise very easily, as they say “in a jiffy”. You only need to observe a few simple rules that will be discussed below.
Exercise hill on the driving track
The driving track is shown in the illustration above. It is an overpass, i.e. an artificial structure where the road is inclined (an angle of inclination from 8 to 16 percent). The driver candidate must stop the car on the slope and then resume driving. Avoid rolling the vehicle backwards (downhill) when driving uphill.
The length of the inclined surface is equal to the length of the vehicle + 2 meters. At a distance of 1 meter from the upper plane of the trestle there is a line “STOP-1”.
In addition, in the process of passing the exercise behind the car at a distance of 0.3 meters there will be an additional rack, which shows the maximum possible rollback.
There is an additional line “STOP-2” on the site, at which the driver must also stop. At the same time stop no further than 1 meter from this line.
Procedure for driving uphill
- Approach the line of the beginning of exercise, stop.
- Drive up to the line “STOP-1” on the overpass, stop.
- Wait for the examiner’s command.
- Lift off the lift.
- Drive up to the line “STOP-2”, stop no more than 1 meter from it.
Table of errors for the exercise
The first column in the table describes possible errors and the second column gives the number of errors that can be made. 0 means that after the first error you will receive a “NOT READ” grade for the exam.
|113.1. did not start the test exercise within 30 seconds after receiving the command (signal) to start the exercise.|
|113.2. Knocked down the marking equipment.||2|
|113.3. drove on the projection of the vehicle out of the boundaries of the exercise areas marked by white or yellow road marking lines 1.1 or 1.4 and marking cones or ran the wheel over the marking line of the exercise areas, depending on the conditions of the exercise.|
|113.4. Crossed the “STOP” line on the projection of the front clearance of the vehicle.|
|113.7. He allowed the engine to stop.||2|
|113.8. Stopped before the respective line at a distance exceeding the reference value.|
|113.13. During the exercise “Stopping and starting on a hill” he allowed the vehicle to roll back more than 0.3 m on the hill.|
|113.15. Leaving the examination (refusing to perform the test exercise).|
What is the correct way to move on the ramp?
Consider the order of the exercise “Overpass” on the test:
Stop in front of the start line of the exercise.
Start the vehicle and move slowly to the “STOP-1” line. Stop near this line. You may miss the line by a little, but you should never cross it. So it is better to stop a little earlier. At this stage, you need to navigate by the cones on the side of the line.
3. After stopping, lock the car with the handbrake. Release the brake pedal.
Do not rush to move from the place, because at this moment the autodrome employee installs an additional stand 1 behind the car (at a distance of 30 cm).
If the examiner is in the training car, you need to wait for his command, allowing you to continue the exercise.
4. Press the clutch pedal with your left foot. The clutch must be fully depressed.
5. 5. Step on the accelerator pedal with your right foot. Watch the tachometer arrow on the dashboard while doing so. 6.
6. As soon as the tachometer arrow approaches the 3000 rpm mark, fix the position of the right foot on the accelerator pedal.
7. Start slowly releasing the clutch pedal. Continue to look at the tachometer arrow, it should gradually “go down”.
8. Once the tachometer arrow is close to 1000-1200 rpm, lock your left foot on the clutch pedal.
9. Without changing the position of your feet, release the handbrake (lower the lever). Pay attention, at this stage the feet should be fixed, it is not necessary to move them! The car moves from the place and slowly goes to the “STOP-2” line behind the trestle.
10. Stop at the “STOP-2” line behind the overpass. Pay attention, you have to stop at the distance of not more than 1 meter. Orient yourself by the additional cone number 2, which is exactly 1 meter from the line.
The exercise is successfully completed.
Instructions for the hill exercise
Specially for the readers of pddmaster.ru developed a manual for the exercise scaffold in pdf format:
I recommend that you print this instruction and take it with you to the driving range.
Possible problems on the slide
Variants in which it is possible to fail the overpass:
- allow the car to roll back and hit a milestone;
- cross the line “STOP-1” or “STOP-2”;
- fail to reach the “STOP-2” line.
|Possible problem||Driver’s actions|
|Vehicle stalled on a hill||Start the vehicle and continue the exercise. This error could occur twice during the test.|
|Using the brake pedal||If you lock the car with the brake pedal (without the handbrake) you would lack the dexterity and reaction speed to move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal. Usually the car will roll backwards and hit a milestone during the leg transfer.|
Mistakes in Slide Exercise
Violations 113.7 (engine stalled) and 113.8 (did not reach the line) most likely no one will notice. The other errors are conspicuous, so they should be eliminated.
If the car has a stalled engine (113.7 violation) several times (more than 2), do not look away. Start the car and continue the exercise. This error is not always visible from the outside, so the probability of successful passing is high.
In the next article in the series we will talk about how to do the 90-degree turns.
Answer! From April 1st 2021 you can do the new “Flyover” on the autodrome as well as in the town. Instructions on how to do the new exercise are given in the article “Starting to drive uphill and downhill (flyover)”.
Good luck on the roads!
Expert in automobile law in Russia. More than 11 years of experience in studying automotive regulations and advising drivers. Author of analytical articles and training courses. Head of the project PDD Master (pddmaster.ru).
How a novice driver learn to enter the overpass
When passing the exams for the license, the necessary condition is the ability to overcome road obstacles and perform behind the wheel of a car popular maneuvers often encountered on the way. Since due to the terrain the road can go uphill or have slopes, the motorist must be able to drive up and down them. As an artificial obstacle that imitates the real conditions on the driving track uses a special overpass. It is assembled according to certain rules and has uniform dimensions. To overcome such a construction one must be prepared not only practically, but also theoretically.
What is a scaffold
Exercise, which involves an overpass on the autodrome, is called a slide. The process consists in driving at low speed to the first inclined part, and there to stop (on the rise, not entering the top). The area of the first stop is indicated by a “stop line” drawn on the pavement. The overpass consists of 5 sections:
- initial horizontal (length of the average passenger car + 2 m.);
- 8-16% uphill (car length + 2 m);
- horizontal platform at the top of the trestle (approximately the length of the car);
- descent at an angle of 8-16% (car length + 2 m.);
- horizontal finish section (car length + 2 m.).
One of the difficulties is the start (starting) on an uphill. During the maneuver the car must not roll back far.
Important! The maximum permissible rollback is limited to a distance of 0.3m from the rear bumper, at such a distance from the rear bumper there is an additional portable rack.
The second “stop line” is drawn on the finish horizontal section. The driver when performing the maneuver is obliged to brake in the interval from 1 m. to the line and not further than the forbidden line itself.
Algorithm of correct execution
The step-by-step instructions for the correct arrival from the first time include the following points:
- Before performing the task, the driver must drive up to the starting line and stop.
- The exercise begins after the signal of the traffic police officer taking the exam on the overpass.
- Drive up to the stop line on the ramp at low speed. To run over or cross the line is categorically inadmissible, there should not even be an edge of the bumper over it. It is preferable to make a stop at a small distance from the line, up to half a meter.
- For a proper stop squeeze the clutch and brake pedal on the mechanics It is important to do it at the same time, as to drive to the trestle most often required for cars with manual transmission. Also pull the handbrake. Without releasing the pedals, switch to neutral with the gearbox lever. Release the pre-pressed pedals.
- The next step involves driving uphill. The instructions require the driver to depress the clutch and shift the gear stick to first gear. Grasp the handbrake lever, squeeze the button on it and slightly raise the engine speed to the level of 2000-2500 rpm.
- Without changing the position of the accelerator pedal, smoothly raise the foot from the clutch according to the instructions to the level where the rotation captures (about the middle of the pedal stroke).
- When the clutch is engaged, the driver will feel the engine rpm drop to about 1500 rpm, which will serve as a signal to release the handbrake and add a little gas. After such exercise on the overpass the car will go up.
- The motorist passes the upper horizontal platform at the licensing test and at low speed goes downhill, where the second “stop line” is indicated.
Before the finish line, the driver must stop and put the car on the handbrake. Only then turn off the engine. Not everyone manages to pass at the 1st time, as there are mistakes in the process of implementation.
Solution to potential problems in the execution of the slide
When performing operations on the site, you need to be as focused as possible to minimize possible control errors. This can be observed after a long training and careful study of the theory. For beginners, tips will help:
- Even if the car stalls during the manipulation, you can restart the engine and complete the exercise. There is no penalty for two such mistakes. After the third time, the driver will be suspended from the driving test.
- You should not use the pedal only for braking, as there is not enough time to fix the car in the right position. The rear bumper is usually knocked down with one triangle during rollback. In such situation, competent work with a handbrake helps. Mistakes are practically excluded.
- When the driver feels at the start that the car starts to roll back, it is important to quickly press the brake pedal and fix its position with the handbrake.
- The motorist can stand at a greater distance from the second “stop line”, then it is allowed to go to the first step and drive a few centimeters forward.
It is preferable to choose the warm time of the year for surrender. Winter weather can complicate the exam. In a cool period we recommend to warm up the engine well in advance that it has worked accurately and has not stalled on the trestle in the inappropriate moment.
Widespread mistakes on the trestle when driving uphill
Not everyone manages to pass the hill on the autodrome without mistakes. For such cases, the rules provide for permissible mistakes. In addition to stalling the engine twice, the motorist is allowed to knock down the marking equipment. After the third repetition of the driver leaves the driving track with nothing. The list of unacceptable mistakes (after at least one of them the driver is dismissed from the exam) is longer:
- the motorist was slow for more than half a minute after receiving the signal to start driving;
- the stop line is crossed or has a part of the bumper over it;
- the car drove beyond the set limits of the test area, marked by cones or white/yellow markings, as provided for in the conditions of the examination;
- the car was in front of the marking line at a distance greater than the reference value;
- the driver has voluntarily left the test or has refused to pass further;
- the car on the downhill or uphill rolled back after the start at a distance of more than 0.3 m.
If there is a possibility, you should get behind the wheel of the car in which you already had experience of driving.
Important! The instructor can provoke the driver, so the examinee must show maximum attention and not give in to provocations, competently motivating his refusal.
Comfortable soft-soled shoes help when passing the exam. Girls should not wear shoes with heels. It is recommended to go to the car among the first, as some drivers can spoil the mood of the instructor. Do not forget the basic rules of the road, including the use of the seat belt.
Before driving, it is worth adjusting the interior to your own comfort, such as adjusting the height and range of the seat, adjusting the steering wheel and mirrors. The success of the event depends not only on the psychological mood, but also on the physical condition and reaction rate. In this case, it is important to get a good night’s sleep and rest.