“Getting into the Paint” (Painting the Engine Block)
Good day, my dear garage aesthetes! This post is about how to do some crazy gypsy style stuff with the guys in the garage /// Mr. Motorman rebuilt my whole engine in 24 hours, before I even had a chance to blink and got a rebuilt engine from new components. I thought that overhauling was a long process and I had enough time to squeeze in a painting somewhere in the middle. In the end I had the engine ready and I didn’t dare to take it apart… Let’s do it from the heart – we will paint the whole thing!
/// The color choice was not the easiest task. There were a lot of options: factory blue, black, swamp, chrome, dark gray, gold, white. There were fierce battles, bad words were used, clever and not so clever arguments were resulted, there were many photos of the painted blocks, but the main decision was for me all the same. Personally, I was rooting for a bubbly white color. Of course I was afraid that it would look too vulgar or even smell like gypsy, but still wanted to and will try to paint a picture that I have in my head. It’s been decided – the block will be bubbly white. /// To paint the block we will need: 1) High pressure washer; 2) A brush brush on the grinder/drill;
3) Carbcleaner “ABRO”.
4) Degreaser, 5) Rags or cloths (a lot), 6) Cloak, 7) masking tape, Safety glasses, 9) Respirator, 10) Gloves, 11) And of course the paint (heat resistant, specifically for engine paint).
/// Let’s get to work! 1) If you want to paint by beauty, not by kolhozny as I do, the first item will be disassembly of the engine. I skipped it because I was afraid I wouldn’t put it back together like the mechanic did. ! But in my excuse, I removed everything I could from the outside without disconnecting the cylinder head, front and rear covers, and the drip tray.
2) Next, we take the unit to a high-pressure washer. We thoroughly spray it with foam, wait 10 minutes and thoroughly rinse everything that can be washed off. The procedure is carried out three, four times, as most likely the dirt on it (the block) has turned into stones and the pressure takes them not the first time. 3) Apply plenty of carbcleaner to everything you failed to beat off with pressure (be careful, it’s very caustic, if it gets on your hands or gas, rinse quickly with water), wait a little and then again apply pressure. The procedure is also repeated several times. 4) When the surface dirt is washed off you need to scrape off the hardened dirt, old paint and rust. To do this, we need a scratch brush. Take the grinder, put the brush on it, put on safety glasses, respirator, heavy gloves and proceed to scraping. (NEVER, you hear critters, NEVER neglect safety equipment. Dust will stand a column, breathe it in, and it stays in your lungs for life. From the brush scratch on the grinder will fly metal tendrils in all directions, will be like hedgehogs then to pick them out of all the cracks and so you do not have to collect their eyes from the floor, wear protective goggles). Brush thoroughly in all places and especially in the corners. I advise you to use several different sizes of brush to make it easier to get under the brush. Do not be afraid to press the brush hard, the block will only like it.
5) Before the last step, we need to wipe the whole block clean with degreaser. To do this I suggest taking white disposable wipes, moisten them with degreaser and go over the whole block until the wipes are still clean.
6) The last step is masking the technological holes and threaded connections. Tape everything that does not need to be painted with painter’s tape and cut along the contour with a new, sharp office blade.
7) The paint itself. The paint I chose does not require a primer, you can apply directly to the metal. Warm the room to at least 20 °. Nuff the dust with water from a sprayer. Shake the can with paint for 3 minutes, warm it up if it is cold. And … Aaaaaaaaacchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, applying thin layers with a pause of 10 minutes between each layer. Hold the can at a distance of 25 cm from the block. The paint is good, easy to lay down, vashche overdo it, so do not hurry. I had two cans – 5 coats, which would overlap the entire color. /// The result in the photo.
How to paint the engine of the car with your own hands
Few car owners think about the need to paint the engine. To some, it may at all seem a ridiculous undertaking, on which it is not worth wasting time. Believe me, it is not so. During our conversation you will change your mind and seriously think about the engine transformation.
Different circumstances can force a car owner to think about painting the engine of his car. This process can by no means be called easy.
It requires compliance with a number of mandatory requirements, fulfillment of conditions, careful selection of paint (different for each compartment of the engine) and adherence to the scheme of work. All this we have to learn.
How and why to paint the engine
What goals are guided by the car owner who decided to paint the engine of his car? There may be several of them:
- The exterior transformation of the unit is the first, most important and common goal that is pursued in the process. A painted part transforms the entire underbody space, attracts attention and shows the proper care of the car. It is especially appreciated during the pre-sale inspection. and prevention of its further development. In this case, the longevity of the power unit will be significantly increased.
- Preparing the car for car shows and different kinds of shows. In this case, the car must be perfect in everything, the same applies to the under-hood space.
- Pre-sale preparation may include the painting of the engine. This will indicate the proper care of the auto and the seriousness of its current owner. As a rule, such cars are sold without haggling and extra red tape.
The process of coloring is carried out only on the dismounted car. Otherwise it would be impossible to fulfill this work qualitatively. If it is necessary to remove the power unit, which is not easy at all, its overhaul is usually performed. This way two problems are solved at once. A paint gun is used to apply the compound. In the process, it must be held at a distance of up to 20 cm (not less than 15 cm) from the surface to be treated. The paint composition must be applied in several layers, which allows for good adhesion.
Each part is covered with paint separately, the assembly is carried out after drying. Often a different color for each part is chosen paint composition. Thus, you can get a unique and unusual motor.
The choice of paint composition
This process should be given enough attention, because it largely determines the quality of the expected result. Above we have already mentioned the choice of paint by color, but it is not the only parameter that affects the choice of the motorist.
The ideal would be to use powder paint, followed by baking in a special oven. This method is not even worth considering, since it is expensive and requires the use of specialized oversized equipment. Therefore, choose a paint with heat-resistant characteristics, it is presented in automobile and construction stores in a large assortment.
Such a composition should not be applied to all engine parts, it would be advisable to choose only those elements that are exposed to high temperatures during operation. Such parts include the exhaust manifold and cylinder heads. All containers with fluids are not heated to critical temperatures, that is why it is acceptable to use an ordinary paint mixture for their coloring.
As for the choice of brand, you should give preference to proven mixtures. It is not superfluous to study reviews of specific manufacturers. This information will allow you to make the right choice and achieve, due to this, a high-quality and long-lasting result. It is desirable to choose different types of compositions from one manufacturer. In this case, there will be no differences in the thickness and texture of the finished coating.
Before you paint the valve cover of the engine, the tray or the block you must carefully study the instructions for working with the selected compound. It may be necessary to dilute the paint beforehand, moreover different types of compositions may differ in drying time.
Preparing to Paint
Do not hope to quickly cope with the painting of the engine. This process will be long and multi-step. It is necessary to prepare the engine for further work. The essence of this process is to do the following:
- Removing the motor from the underhood. Disassembly of the engine should be done in such a way that there is no difficulty when reassembling. Be sure to number the cables from the spark plugs, as they can easily be mixed up.
- Cleaning and degreasing each part that will be painted. Care and thoroughness are important here, otherwise the paint will not hold up well to the coating. You can use a sandblaster, which will make the job much faster and easier.
- Cleaning the surface of old paint with a solvent.
- Sanding areas that are severely affected by corrosion. Sandpaper or a grinding wheel can be used for this.
- Applying a primer is not a mandatory step, moreover, because of the presence of the primer, overheating of the motor can be observed. Therefore, many experts recommend skipping this step.
- Check the sealing of the holes and restore, if necessary. Spot application of paint can be used, bolts are screwed into the holes, studs or other plugs suitable in size are installed.
Car engine paint features and nuances
It is not a difficult process to paint the car engine, if the preparation was carried out carefully and the paint is chosen correctly. Here it is necessary to adhere to the following work plan:
- diluting and stirring the paint composition to a homogeneous state;
- Application of the prepared composition on the elements of the engine with a paint gun or roller (the first option is preferred);
- Give time for the first and each of the subsequent layers to dry, the number of which should be close to three, a full drying may require 24 hours.
At this point, the painting of the engine with their own hands can be considered completed. You have only to wait for the complete drying of the applied coating, assemble the motor and install it in its original place.
Even with such a difficult work can be managed without the involvement of professionals, whose services cost a decent amount. If you adhere to the above stated plan of work and clearly pursue your goal, the venture is doomed to success.