How to change the spark plugs on the Volkswagen Passat b6 with your own hands?
The ignition system of the engine assembly of the car Volkswagen Passat b6 brand consists of a certain set of components, but the fundamental of them are spark plugs. In turn, the other elements of the designated system function only for the work of the spark plug. It is only necessary to ensure the formation of a spark charge, acting as a catalyst for the ignition of the combustible mixture, which is fed into the cylinders. The discharge presented must necessarily occur at a specific time, and its power must ensure ignition.
Based on the above information, it can be concluded that the spark plug is a very important component, without which the vehicle will not be able to move. The functioning of the presented detail depends on the operation of the cylinder of the engine unit, the quality and speed of combustion of the combustible mixture, which in turn affects the power, as well as its fuel efficiency of the machine. The more complete will be the combustion of the air mixture, the higher will be the power of the vehicle brand Volkswagen Passat b6, and the fuel consumption is lower.
Frequency of replacement of plugs in Volkswagen Passat b6
In order for the motor unit of the Volkswagen Passat b6 car to function smoothly and stably, the motorist needs to monitor it and at certain times to carry out checks. The regulations state that during the scheduled maintenance, it is obligatory to replace the spark plugs as well. You can find out when the car owner should change the spark plugs in the vehicle’s owner’s manual and repair manual. However, with a good engine and the absence of malfunctions in the ignition system, as well as the condition that the motorist uses only the highest quality fuel mixture, the term of acceptable operation of the designated part of the car is thirty thousand kilometers of mileage. The presented period of time can be extended, provided that the vehicle owner uses higher quality spark plugs – platinum and iridium.
Uncommon situations when the owners of Volkswagen Passat b6 neglect the manufacturer’s recommended intervals for the replacement of the designated part of the car. They learn about the fact that they should change the spark plugs only when certain symptoms of malfunction appear.
The list of malfunctions of the car:
- The engine assembly of the car brand Volkswagen Passat b6 trots;
- Starting the engine is difficult;
- When pressing the accelerator pedal sharply, there is sagging;
- Loss of dynamics;
- In the zone of medium and high revolutions, the vehicle’s engine functions intermittently;
- Check Engine error. However, it should be noted that in cars with at least Euro-3 environmental tolerance class, computer diagnostics will show an error that indicates a problem in one or more cylinders simultaneously. The error codes in the indicated situation are as follows: P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304. The last digit of the presented codes corresponds to the numbering of the engine cylinders. It should be noted that if you swap the faulty and faulty spark plugs, the error code will also change.
Depending on how the vehicle’s ignition system is designed, an inadequate approach to the timing of the replacement of the indicated part is fraught with a reduction in the life of the modules, coil and spark plug tracer. In addition, it also negatively affects the high-voltage wires.
When operating a Volkswagen Passat b6 car with faulty spark plugs erosion of the electrodes occurs. Due to the fact that the thickness of the lateral contact in the spark gap area decreases, there is an increase in the air gap between the electrodes. It is the extra effort required for spark formation that accelerates the wear and tear of the ignition system components of the engine unit.
The most dangerous problem with untimely replacement of the designated auto parts is corking of the threaded connection area. As a result of the indicated action, the threads can be torn off, and eventually to the damage of the spark plug itself when disassembled. The presented malfunction can lead to the fact that the owner of the vehicle will need to overhaul the designated area of the car, and in some cases replace the cylinder block.
In this regard, before each fall and spring season of car use, experienced drivers perform preventive dismantling-assembly of the designated parts. When performing this action, it is required to make a visual inspection of them and, if faulty ones are found, replace them.
How to properly replace the spark plugs?
In the list of works on the service of the motor unit of the vehicle, the replacement of spark plugs is one of the simplest procedures. In addition to theoretical knowledge, the owner of a Volkswagen Passat b6 car will need certain tools to perform the designated process.
List of tools:
- Torque wrench . It is not uncommon when, before performing the designated procedure, car drivers wonder whether these parts can be replaced with an ordinary screwdriver. This is possible, but only in that situation, if the motorist performs the presented action at least ten times, but with a torque wrench, as a result of which he can trust his muscle memory. A large number of drivers do not have such extensive experience in this matter, because of this it is recommended to use a designated wrench, because over or under-compressed spark plugs can lead to adverse consequences;
- Spark plug head . The specified part is longer than a standard socket head. The reason for this is that it requires a reserve to get inside the insulator of the spark plug contact tip. Certain types of sockets have a retainer or a built-in magnet that allows the spark plug to be easily removed from a deep well during replacement;
- Extension . The presented tool is required for the replacement of the designated part on vehicles with a large height of the spark plug wells. In addition, it is recommended to have a blow gun and a compressor for this type of design. These tools are required because before replacing the old spark plugs with new ones, the wells should be blown out. This is done in order to prevent debris from entering the cylinders of the engine assembly Volkswagen Passat b6;
- A spark plug wrench or screwdriver . They are necessary for the owner of the vehicle in order to unscrew the old spark plugs.
The above list of tools is not final, it will be supplemented depending on the type and number of fasteners of engine parts, which the owner of the car needs to unscrew in order to get to the spark plugs. Exact information about the designated issue the motorist will be able to find in the official documents of the car, namely in the manual for the operation and repair of the car brand Volkswagen Passat b6.
After the owner of the vehicle has gathered the necessary tools, he can begin disassembly.
- First, the motorist needs to unscrew two screws, as in the photo below;
- In the next step, using a flat screwdriver should bend the metal retainer;
- Next, it is required to remove the fasteners from the coils. Perform the designated actions must be carefully, so as not to break anything;
- After removing the coil itself. To carry out this action requires the use of the original puller with serial number T40039. You can also use an analogue, but it is still recommended to buy the original tool;
- Removing the coil
- At this stage, the motorist can proceed to unscrew the old spark plugs. To do this, it is necessary to use a 16 millimeter spark plug wrench;
- Unscrew them should be counterclockwise.
The disassembly process is complete, after which the owner of the vehicle can proceed to the installation of new spark plugs.
At the current stage, the motorist can proceed to the replacement of the designated parts of the car brand Volkswagen Passat b6. However, before installing new spark plugs, the car owner should unscrew all the spark plugs and determine which ones are in optimal condition and which ones need to be replaced.
The process of replacing spark plugs on a Volkswagen Passat b6 1.8 tsi car:
- As already prescribed above, before replacing, you should establish which of the spark plugs are still in optimal condition and which are not. After prolonged use of the designated part installed on the FSI engine assembly, when using the Russian fuel mixture, they look as follows;
- After that, new spark plugs can be mounted. It is recommended to install only original parts. Their number is as follows – VAG NGK 101905620;
- For comparison, the photo below shows spark plugs from different manufacturers;
- In the next step, after the designated parts of the car have been installed in their place, you need to insert the coil until a slight click;
- Repeat these actions for all the spark plugs that need to be replaced.
It should be noted that when performing the indicated procedure, it is recommended to check the condition of the coil and, if necessary, to make its replacement, so as not to disassemble everything again next time. The process of replacing the old spark plugs with new ones, as well as the coil takes no more than fifteen minutes.
Differences in spark plug replacement in other VW models
The procedure for replacing the indicated parts on a Volkswagen Passat b7 and Volkswagen Passat b5 does not differ significantly from the process described above. For the most part, the change of spark plugs on modern vehicles is already a unified procedure. Differences may consist only in the location of the designated parts of the car, their recommended brands and certain design features of specific vehicles. In addition, based on the information provided, to replace spark plugs on the Volkswagen Passat b5 and Volkswagen Passat b7 car owner may require additional tools.
Spark plugs for all engines Volkswagen Passat B6: selection, replacement
Any car needs three things to start: fuel, air and a spark (glow for diesels). The latter provide the spark plugs, these small and relatively inexpensive elements play an important role in starting the engine.
Today we will talk about the plugs for the Volkswagen Passat of the sixth generation. The German brand offers a wide range of engines for the model, let’s consider the originals and the best analogues for each motor.
When to change the spark plugs
Spark plugs (for gasoline engines) manufacturer recommends changing every 30 thousand mileage.
And on the diesel versions, the manufacturer recommends changing spark plugs only at 100 thousand mileage.
But periodically it is worth to monitor their condition. Also, one of the following failures may be the reasons for replacing spark plugs
- engine thrashing;
- Difficult starting;
- deterioration of dynamics;
- sagging when powering on the throttle;
- The corresponding malfunction message on the onboard computer.
Since Volkswagen likes to please users with a large number of powertrain options for its models, for convenience we will consider gasoline and diesel engines separately. VAG company works closely with leading manufacturers of spark plugs.
Some factories produce plugs specifically for the automaker under the VAG brand, but, in fact, these plugs are not produced at the Volkswagen plant. Manufacturers, with whom Volkswagen cooperates a lot, in the case of the sixth Passat is a company Bosch, NGK and Beru.
Original spark plugs and their article numbers are shown in the table.
|Motor||Volume in liters||Article of original spark plug||Manufacturer|
|CDGA||1.4 (TSI Eco Fuel)||101905626A||NGK|
|BSE, BSF||1.6||101000033AA/ 101000041AC||NGK/Beru|
|CDAA, CGYA, CDAB, BZB||1.8 (TSI)||101905631H/ 06H90561A||Bosch/NGK|
|BPY||2.0 (TFSI)||06H905601A/ 101605631H||NGK/Bosch|
|BVY, BVX, BLR||2.0 (FSI)||101905620||NGK|
|BVZ, BLY||2.0 (FSI)||101905610A||Bosch|
|BWA||2.0 (TFSI)||06H905601A/1 01605631H||NGK/Bosch|
|CCZA, CCTB, CCTA, CAWB||2.0 (TSI)||06H905601A/ 101605631H||NGK/Bosch|
The original glow plugs for diesel engines.
|Motor||Volume in liters||Article original glow plug||Manufacturer|
|CAYC||1.6 (TDI)||03L963319A/ 03L963319/ 059963319F||NGK/Bosch/Beru|
|BXE, BLS, BKC||1.9 (TDI)||N10591602/ N10591603||NGK|
|BMA, BKP||2.0 (TDI)||N10579805 (before 2008)/n10579802 (after 2008)||NGK|
|BUZ, BMR||2.0 (TDI)||N10579805||NGK|
|CBDC, CBBB, CBAB, CBAC, CBAA||2.0 (TDI)||03L963319A/ 03L963319/ 059963319F||NGK/Bosch/Beru|
Often users decide to install third-party spark plugs from other manufacturers. Some want to save money, and some are not satisfied with the quality of the original candles. But it is worth remembering that the manufacturer still recommends using the original candles, especially since their cost is quite adequate.
It should be noted at once that the original VAG spark plugs are produced by third-party manufacturers, in this case these are Bosch, NGK and Beru, respectively, suitable for the parameters of these brands can safely buy and install in your car.
The table shows good analogues of spark plugs and their numbers.
|Motor||Volume in liters||Manufacturer||Item number|
|CDGA||1.4 (TSI Eco Fuel)||Denso/Nippon Pieces||VK20T/VK20|
|CDAA, CGYA, CDAB, BZB||1.8 (TSI)||Champion/Denso||OE146-T10/K20TT|
|BVY, BVX, BLR||2.0 (FSI)||Beru/Champion||UXT11/EON7-287|
|BVZ, BLY||2.0 (FSI)||Beru/Champion||Z347/EON1-286|
|CCZA, CCTB, CCTA, CAWB||2.0 (TSI)||Beru/Champion||Z228/EON7-286|
From the table below you can see which glow plugs can be used instead of the original ones.
|Motor||Volume in liters||Manufacturer||Article number|
|BXE, BLS, BKC||1.9 (TDI)||Bremi/Champion||26500/CH700-002|
|BMA, BKP||2.0 (TDI)||Bremi/Delphi||26501/HDS413|
|BUZ, BMR||2.0 (TDI)||Bosch/FAE||0250403009/74254|
|CBDC, CBBB, CBAB, CBAC, CBAA||2.0 (TDI)||Bremi/Champion||26506/CH708-002|
Change of spark plugs
For gasoline engines, the replacement procedure looks very simple.
- provide access to the ignition coils;
- Carefully disconnect plugs from coils;
- remove coils with a special puller (original puller number: T40039);
- with a special wrench (16 mm.) unscrew the plugs;
- install new plugs and assemble in reverse order.
For diesels the process is a bit more complicated, you need to remove the valve cover of the engine, first providing access to it.