Stabilizer bushing replacement – Video instruction. Volkswagen Polo Sedan
Welcome to our onboard journal. Haven’t written here for a long time, not enough time.
Today we will talk about independent replacement of bushings stabilizer.
As many already know, squeaky bushings of a stabilizer is a disease of the car Volkswagen Polo Sedan. How many years the car is made, and the problem has not been solved. Though about a decision – a little bit lower in the text. The reason is in the design miscalculation. The rubber bushing of the stabilizer is crimping the stabilizer bar. In the course of time at about zero temperature or at negative temperature the bushings creak. Road dirt, reagents get between the rubber bushing and the stabilizer bar – this is the main reason. Although the reason is even more important is the economy of components. Read more about squeaks, symptoms, what causes it, as well as examples of squeaks and instructions on how to fix them in the video
New and old stabilizer bushings. As you can see the wear is not critical but the squeak… that’s the only reason why we change the bushings every 15.000-30.000km.
New bushings do not last long.
About 15,000 km and the squeaky noise comes back. It is a slight “chug-chug” when passing a speed bump. Someone will say that you can drive on, such people squeaks as a rule do not bother. Someone sprinkles silicone grease on bushings every week. It is a great pleasure… But according to the technology no grease should be between the stabilizer rod and the rubber bushing. Silicone will attract dirt, over time this dirt will grind the stabilizer bar like an emery. The same applies to polyurethane bushings, which either temporarily solve the problem with squeaks, and then starts just a wild squeak, or polyurethane bushing begins to “eat” the stabilizer as an emery.
– The first time the squeak appeared in the second winter. Replaced the stabilizer bushings under warranty in April 2015 at 15,000 km. Not enough? Yes, in general I think very little mileage. After installation, treated bushings with a special wax preservative. I will say that treated that not. No good from this wax. And costs 600 rubles a spray can. Wear bushings, by the way, minimal. The left has no wear. The right has only a slight discoloration on the inside. All right then! For fans of knocks, creaks, banging of the suspension – you can ride with these bushings and up to 100,000 km. Safety is not affected. Just a squeak! The warranty is over. 2 years have passed.
– The second time the bushings squeaked after exactly 15,000 km. It’s not a wild squeak, it’s a chug-chug as before and only on lying down. There is no warranty. I thought, I’ll drive this way for now. Moreover, in spring, in April and May, when it’s already warm, +5 for example, the bushings creak only in the morning. That is it is possible to drive. So I drove on these replaced bushings in general 30.000 km. And in the cold period, from November the creaks began such that the car began to resemble a cart. In general, the creaks on any bump. Passed so winter. Changing bushings in winter is still a pleasure. Therefore, replacement is postponed until the spring. What do you advise – work in the warm. Replaced the bushing myself at a mileage of 45,000 km. No treatment! 13,000 km after replacing them myself, in December 2018, I heard a light choo-choo . That is, even 1 cold season did not depart in absolute silence. Still, 13-15k mileage is the limit for these bushings. You can drive on, if the squeak as I have a little. The squeak is very weak and does not always appear. So we can stretch to think that the winter 2018-2019 bushings went well. But in 2019-2020 will squeak much more. But I will not change anything else! Let it be as it is for now. There are bigger problems. I am thinking about selling the car more than anything else though.
The solution to the problem:
1) If the car is under warranty, then since 2018 the stabilizer is changed all together. A modified version is installed. The difference from the regular is that the bushings are fixed, they are vulcanized to the rod stabilizer.
And this is what the modified stabilizer bar looks like. Stabilizer bushings are fixed. Vulcanized. This is the rod will be installed under warranty if you go to the dealer with the problem of squeaks from the bushings stabilizer.
Cons: – When replacing the stabilizer subframe is lowered, there is a risk that after replacing the camber and the car will float on the road. – If all of a sudden the bushings creak. Yes, yes, it happens with VAG. If you have any problems, you can’t just change bushings. The new stabilizer costs about 4000r. Otherwise it is advantages. No need to climb every 15-30k and change the bushing stabilizer.
2) If your car is not under warranty and there is no desire to spend 4000r on a new stabilizer, to straighten the cam … then buy the original plugs stabilizer and change them as in the video-instruction.
Why original bushings? And because they at least allow you to drive through a cold season without creaks, in general, the silence.
Immediately answer the question, to change or not to change to the new? Definitely change! Do not wait until the road dirt eats away the rod stabilizer.
Do not take Lemforder stabilizer bushes – they will squeak right after installation! Many people have already had this problem.
Recommendations: – the front axle of the car must be suspended (I do not like to put boards under the arms). – It is very difficult to pull the bracket on the rubber bushing. It is better if you help yourself with a piece of wood. – 13-mm open-end wrench. – Prepare to work in a confined space through the wheel arch. – free time 2-3 hours.
Service will take for the work 700-1000r and above. Depending on the greed. Work for 30 minutes in the conditions of the service.
P.s. Perhaps next time seal the bushings movilem. Although, I do not believe in miracles.
Video posts on YouTube channel are coming out more often than the entries in the logbook. Don’t forget that the video descriptions provide useful information, part numbers for ordering parts, table of contents timecodes, etc.
Visit the channel, you will find useful information from the life of Volkswagen Polo Sedan.
In the description of the video you will find useful information, a table of contents with time codes, by clicking on the time – go directly to the fragment of the video you are interested in.
Good luck on the roads.
UPD: 01.08.2019 – it’s +13 degrees outside. The bushings are squeaking . Will be changing the bushings again soon. Otherwise the winter will be “musical” Mileage 63.000 km.
Stabilizer bushes Volkswagen Polo
Volkswagen Polo has a reliable, strong suspension. Its elements are able to last for a long time, without requiring any attention in its side.
Despite this, the road surface of poor quality can cause failure of the suspension in a fairly short period. Very often the bushings of the transverse stabilizer tube suffer.
The driver begins to notice extraneous sounds from the suspension when overcoming road obstacles, such as speed bumps. Further operation of the vehicle leads to a deterioration of controllability and sideways drifting of the vehicle.
Damaged or excessively worn stabiliser bushes should therefore be replaced as soon as the problem is detected.
Article and price of original bushings of a stabilizer on Volkswagen Polo and their analogues
Original Volkswagen Polo stabilizer bushing have the article number VAG 6Q0 411 314 P. Their cost is 1000-1200 rubles.
There are stabilizer bushings for the Volkswagen Polo sedan from third-party manufacturers. The best firms are listed in the table below.
|Manufacturer||Particle number||Cost, rub|
|LEMFÖRDER||LMI 35887 01||150-200|
Determining the necessity of replacement
Stabilizer bushes of Volkswagen Polo have no standard service life, because their service life directly depends on the quality of the road surface on which the car is driven.
The presence of excessive wear, deformation, tears and other damage can be found out visually by inspecting the bushings. The following symptoms will also help determine the need for replacement:
- acceleration is accompanied by extraneous noises in the suspension;
- the vehicle is pitching sideways;
- collision with an obstacle is accompanied by a characteristic sound from the side of the suspension;
- the car became less controllable, which is especially noticeable when cornering;
- vibration on the steering wheel;
- Clicks are observed at a roll;
- the vibration is excessively transmitted to the body during driving.
Required tools and materials
In order to perform the replacement of bushings stabilizer Volkswagen Polo, you will need the tools and materials listed in the table below.
|Wrenches||Wrenches: “K10”, “K13”, “K15”, “K17”, “K24”, “K27|
|Installation tool||Any piece of pipe about one meter long will do.|
|Jack||Preferably 2 pcs.|
|Penetrating grease||E.g. WD-40|
|Grease||Lithol 24 or graphite grease|
|Allen wrench||To remove the wheels|
|Rags||For surface cleaning it is recommended to use chemicals|
Procedure of replacement of storage bushings on Volkswagen Polo
In order for the replacement of the stabilizer bushings to be successful, it is recommended to follow the instructions below.
- Raise the car on both sides with the help of jacks.
- Remove the wheels.
- Support the car. The removed wheels can be used for this purpose.
- It is advisable to remove the engine guard when carrying out the work. This will make it easier to replace the stabilizer bushings.
- Remove the bracket.
- Remove the bracket and remove the bushing.
- Clean any remaining rubber on the bracket.
- Clean the seat for the stabilizer bushing.
- Coat the inside of the new bushing with grease. This will make it easier to install and increase its service life.
Many car owners recommend using polyurethane bushings instead of rubber ones. They have greater durability and service life.