Tinting with LLumar film
The decision to tint came with the advent of warm, sunny days. If the rays of the sun did not interfere with our child, I would not have tinted the car. My opinion, tinting a car’s rear hemisphere “ages” a light colored car. Tinting in all-round looks different, or as a variant of the rear hemisphere plus the front side windows. Initially the idea was: rear hemisphere – LLumar 15-film; front side windows – LLumar 70-film; windshield – 150 mm band LLumar 15-film.
In 2017, the following tinting regulations have been established, which allow: – to tint the rear side windows without restrictions; – to apply a tinting film on the rear window; – to glue a transparent colored film strip in the upper part of the windshield; – the norm of light transmission of the front windows – 70% is set.
But it turns out that the rules prohibit tinting the front side windows, even with the lightest film. According to the paragraph 184.108.40.206, approved standard light transmission for windshields (front) – 70% (cancellation of 75% – by the old GOST). The rest of the glass can be tinted at your discretion (no standards are set by law). After the changes in GOST 32565-2013 it is not possible to tint the front windows so that they meet the requirements of this standard. Glass on the front doors must transmit light by at least 70%, as stated in the amended paragraph of the GOST. Given the fact that the glass initially can not be completely transparent, it is clear that the gluing of the film and will withdraw light transmission beyond the standards, and therefore make toning according to GOST after the changes made impossible.
Features tinting the top of the windshield by GOST 2017: It is allowed to darken the zone of up to 14 centimeters from the top edge in any way and light transmission.
According to clause 3.4 it is allowed to use polymer-tinting film (in the allowed norms) as glass that protects from heat.
Installing an athermal film on the windows in front, which will protect the interior from being heated by the sun’s rays and will not allow it to fade, as a way to protect yourself and your car without violating the requirements of the standard. Athermal film, as a rule, is produced at 80% and 90%. Thus, it does its “job” by protecting the person sitting in the car from ultraviolet and hot sunlight, and passes GOST. However, some of them give a small error, which depends on the shade of glass, because cars are often already tinted from the factory. It is important to consider the light transmittance of the glass itself! Many car owners forget about it. With new glass, this figure may be 90%, and even less with old – up to 80%. Thus, you need to multiply the two indicators: the light transmission coefficients of glass and film (example calculation for the new glass: 0.9 x 0.8 = 0.72. This figure meets the requirements of GOST, even a little higher, with a small margin). Depending on the amount received, we can judge whether to pass athermal toning under GOST, or not. Obviously, the answer is different for everyone and depends on the original light transmission of the windows set by the manufacturer of your car, as well as the brand of the athermal toning film – or rather, its light transmission. In most cases, the athermal film on the windshield and the front side windows will not provide sufficient light transmission under the GOST of 70%. Athermal toning helps retain up to 75% of light, 55% of heat and 99% of ultraviolet. As a rule it is transparent, but may have tint of blue or green. LA and ATR series films give such tint respectively.
The main advantages of tinting vehicle windows with an athermal film are the following:
– it protects all plastic interior parts from adverse effect of high temperatures, regardless of the percentage of light transmission; – also, athermal film is ideal for vehicles with leather upholstery, because it will protect the leather from burning and fading, thereby significantly extending its “life”; – tinting with this material will ensure comfortable temperature in the cabin for both driver and passengers; – reducing the temperature in hot season, tinting with athermal film will allow working less con Let’s say the black films for tinting the glasses of low quality noticeably worsen the view, especially at night. Athermal tinting is transparent, so it does not impair visibility, which is especially important for those who spend a lot of time driving; – Such film has a wide range of shades (green, blue, purple, etc.), which will allow you to choose it under the color of your car and make it even more beautiful.
– high cost, mainly “athermalka” more expensive than their counterparts in 1,5-2,5 times; – if you ignore some of the nuances in choosing a toning material, there may be problems with the traffic police because of disagreements with the State Standard.
Tinting “chameleon” – it’s just a kind of athermal film, and it differs in that it has the property to automatically change the light transmission depending on the brightness of the sun, the brightness of the place and the angle of view. Tinting “chameleon” – as an option, I have not considered.
The penalty for tinting
In order to encourage drivers to comply with the law, there have been increased penalties for tinting violations. The fine for tinting of the front windows (the first violation) will be 1500 rubles, previously it was quite an insignificant figure of 500 rubles. With further violations you’ll have to pay 5000 rubles. It should be noted that the driver, violating norms of tinting, will get only financial expenses: the changes in the law, providing deprivation of rights or withdrawal of license plates, have not been approved.
In view of these circumstances, I had the rear hemisphere tinted with LLumar 15-color film. Also gave up the strip on top of the windshield. My opinion, with this option of tinting the car with light color, this band looks superfluous element, and vice versa, on the black car it is in harmony, and the car looks just chic. Modern tinting film “Lumar” is made by a special technology, so it is a few layers, which are arranged in a strict order (starting from the side of glass): – setting adhesive base, made by a special patented technology; – polymer, which gives the tint; – intermediate layer, which has no tint; – layer of metal microparticles, applied by spraying; – top layer, which protects the tint from mechanical damage and abrasion. Such multi-layer structure gives the tinting film superior optical characteristics, durability and stylish shade. In addition, Lumar tinting does not burn out with time and there are no scratches on it. The color palette of film filters from the company “Lumar” allows you to choose several shades of tinting (charcoal, graphite and smoke).
Tinted in Naberezhnye Chelny in the garages behind the Grenada Park. Guys worked fast, it is noticeable that the hand is used. For better result was made partial dismantling of the salon. The center brake light was also removed during the tinting process, and it is under the tinting. When braking, the center brake light is visible almost unchanged.
How to tint a car with your own hands
The question of how to tint a car with your own hands remains relevant for many years. Simple, at first glance, modification allows you to give the car a well-groomed expensive look, at the same time getting rid of the problems caused by bright sunlight.
As a result, the driver feels more comfortable and the interior looks like new without fading. There are other important perks worth mentioning as well.
Why you need to tint your car
Tinting car windows with your own hands is not a quick process and requires skill. Not to mention the material investment. But they pay off when you consider how many practical tasks the installed film solves. Here are the main ones:
- Tinted film does not let the bright sunlight into the interior, which means that in summer time it heats up less. The reduced fading of the interior trim elements has already been mentioned before, and this is also an important advantage of the refinement.
- In addition to sunlight, tinting makes the interior impervious to prying eyes. Intruders will not be able to see if there are valuable items left unattended inside, and interest in the car will noticeably decrease.
- Another important advantage of the film is its ability to seal the glass. In case of a collision, it will not allow the window to fall apart into small pieces, causing additional injury to the driver and passengers. And in general, it is more difficult to break such a coating.
The fact that the appearance of the vehicle is improved, we have already mentioned. No matter how budgetary was the configuration at purchase, the glued tinting film is guaranteed to make the car more stylish and expensive in appearance.
Types of Tinting Films
Before you know how to tint your own windows, it’s a good idea to study the available film options on the market. Just a few years ago, car owners had nothing to choose from, but today you can find dozens of types of tinting in stores, including:
- Colored – distinguished by the presence of pigment in the composition, which can be matched to the shade of the car, creating a uniform look.
- Metallized – capable of reflecting the sun’s rays stronger than the classic version.
- Infinity is also a metallized film, but in this case the layer of metal is applied to the outer side of the tint.
- Athermal – differs from the others in its phenomenal ability to delay ultraviolet and infrared radiation. Up to 90% of the sun’s rays will be reflected, and in some cases even more.
- Anti-vandal – providing armoring of glass and many others.
Important note: All types of films have their advantages and disadvantages. And the more the first, the higher the price of the product.
How to choose tinting so you do not have to remove it
The answer to the question of how to properly tint your car, is written in the rules of the road. The legislation of our country doesn’t allow you to wrap all the glasses of your car “tightly”, because it reduces the visibility, and with it the safety of driving.
According to the state standard, the light transmission of the windshield must be no less than 75%. For the front side mirrors, the figure is reduced to 70%. And only the rear windows can be tinted without restrictions. The ban is set only on mirror tinting.
Preparing materials and tools for tinting with your own hands
To tint your car at home will need a few tools, but they are all available to most motorists. Purchase or prepare in advance:
- The film itself.
- Liquid soap or detergent. You can also make a solution from ordinary soap.
- Warm, clean water.
- A thin knife. A paper cutter blade or a construction knife will do.
- Lint-free textile cloths.
- A plastic spatula (sometimes it comes with the film)
- A hair dryer.
Carry out the procedure best in a warm indoor garage, where the car will be able to dry, but many craftsmen with the comfort of settling in their own yard.
Important Note: Purchase a little more film than needed to make it convenient to fit it under the glass.
Tinting auto side windows
Glasses on the doors are the easiest to tint with film. They are available for manipulation and do not even require any helpers in the process. Proceed step by step:
- Wash the auto glass using a soapy solution.
- Then prepare a pattern from the film, allowing 5-7 mm on each side in case of error.
- Before gluing, wet the window again with a solution from a sprayer.
- Start gluing the tint from the top down, remembering to add the solution if it has dried.
- Carefully push the liquid and air bubbles out from under the film with a trowel, working from the center to the edges.
- Then dry the glass with a hair dryer.
If possible, you can carry out the entire procedure by first pulling the glass out of the door, but it is realistic to manage without this step.
Important note: To prevent the film from sticking to your hands during the work, moisten them and soapy solution.
Making a pattern of the tinting film
This point can be called one of the most difficult, so we will pay extra attention to it. For cutting, you will need a large clean table on which you can lay out the tinting film and the necessary tools. Its size should allow you to make a pattern and the rear window, because you will cover it with protection.
Mark the cut line with a marker. But keep in mind that it can be invisible on very dark tinting. Take care in advance that the color is suitable.
For example, buy a white washable marker that seamstresses use. It’s easy to find at specialty stores. If the film is not as “deaf” as possible, you can also use a simple black marker.
How to tint the rear window of your car
The situation with the rear window is much more complicated, and not only because of its size and shape, but also because of the heating system present in almost every car. Thin wires are easy to tear, but very difficult to repair, so you will need maximum attention, caution and a good helper.
Start by cleaning the surface of dust, dirt, lint. Including removing them will have to remove them from the heating elements. You can take a thin brush to work, but make sure that it does not throw off the hairs itself, otherwise you will have to do the work twice. Then take the pattern right off the glass. You will cut the film at home, on the same prepared table.
The following steps are little different from those described above. The only thing you should keep in mind is the thin heating wires, which can be torn while smoothing the film with a spatula. Act very carefully and gently.
Important note: During the work, make sure that the not yet dried out pattern does not move from its original point. To do this, it is better to hold it on the other side, so you can’t do without a helper.
Making the pattern of the film for tinting the rear window
Again, let’s pay extra attention to the preparatory stage. The most important thing you need to learn is that when cutting out the cutout for the rear window, the allowance should be increased to two to three centimeters.
This will avoid ruining the expensive tinting film. Such an enlarged template is once again applied to the window, and then the excess is removed.
Recommendations for what to do if you notice defects
No matter how carefully you work, no matter how accurately you follow the instructions, sticking film can still be accompanied by annoying mistakes. Some of them can be corrected, so that you do not have to remove the poorly glued tinting. Here’s what you should remember:
- If the film has already dried, but you notice a few bubbles or bumps, use a hair dryer or steam generator. These will soften and moisten the surface, and then the tint will be malleable again for smoothing with a spatula.
- The same way you can act if you notice that the pattern has moved away from the originally defined place. But here you will need a lot of luck and a lot of caution.
- It takes at least one day for the tint to dry completely. And during all this time, it is better to leave the car in a warm dry garage. If it is impossible, do not drive it anywhere. Under the action of a headwind you will almost certainly get a few kinks, bubbles and other troubles. It is better to switch off a conditioner too.
And most importantly, if you have purchased an expensive film, it is better to ask for help from a service center. Specialists have long had a “hand” in the installation procedure. They act coherently and cautiously, which helps to avoid mistakes or eliminate them quickly. Or train on the cheapest variant to begin with.