How much fuel does the Volkswagen Amarok eat
Volkswagen Amarok is a pickup truck from the popular German car company. It is available in two-door and four-door versions.
Many car owners complain about the high consumption of diesel and gasoline. Since the company originally planned to release this car on the Western market, respectively, all the parts and installed units that drive the car were made for American and European roads. But gradually the car spread around the world.
Let’s look at the consumption set by the manufacturer and find out from the reviews of car users what its real consumption in the city or on the highway.
Fuel consumption from the manufacturer
The first versions of the car were produced in a two-door version. The engine was a diesel power unit with a volume of 2 liters, and a capacity of 122 and 140 horses. The first Volkswagen Amarok was equipped with two types of diesel engines.
Fuel consumption depended on the gearbox. According to the manufacturer it was as follows:
- Diesel with 122 horses – 7.5 liters on the highway per 100 km;
- Diesel with the power of 140 horses – 8.8 liters on the highway per 100 km.
In 2016, a restyled model came out. Its engine is also filled with diesel. Fuel consumption is 8.9 liters per 100 kilometers.
Note: Experienced mechanics say that the car Volkswagen Amarok with installed engines of 2.0 and 3.0 liters, but with different gearboxes, will have almost the same fuel consumption figures.
So, for example, a diesel power unit in 2.0 liters with manual transmission fuel consumption is equal to 7.6 liters per 100 kilometers, the engine with 3.0 liters of automatic transmission fuel consumption will be equal to 7.8 liters.
What do car owners say
Many owners of Volkswagen Amarok say that the manufacturer has been too underestimated the fuel consumption indicator. But this is not because of a special underestimation, but because some car owners do not understand that in the city the consumption is always higher than when driving on the highway.
For example, for any diesel SUV fuel consumption in the city will be within 10 liters per 100 kilometers. And on the highway it can freely go down to 7 liters.
The operating conditions also affect the consumption. If the oil and filtering elements of the engine are not changed in time, it will soon start eating fuel in large quantities due to malfunctioning.
Experienced mechanics in Russian conditions advise to change the oil in the engine every seven thousand kilometers. This way you will protect the engine from premature wear and tear.
Now let’s see what car owners who have bought a Volkswagen Amarok say.
Bought a car Amarok from the hands with an automatic transmission and a diesel engine. I think I bought the car well. It fully disclosed its potential. Does not fail on country roads. In the city and rugged terrain eats about 10 liters of diesel. If you go on the highway, I fall within the limits set by the manufacturer.
I bought Amarok 2013. For my work this car is the best for moving and transferring cargo. For three years I have been driving it and have it serviced within the specified time frame. The fuel consumption does not change as some people write.
Stable in the city – not more than 10 liters, and on the highway – 8.0. If to compare with the same Tundra or Land Cruiser, their expenses with the same engine volume are much higher. I have heard that Toyota Land Cruiser eats up to 25 liters per 100 km.
I’m a trucker by profession. I’ve driven in all kinds of cars. I was often advised to buy Volkswagen Amarok, as it did not eat much. I didn’t believe that off-road pickups didn’t consume much diesel.
When I bought it I was convinced with my own eyes that in spite of the high volume of the power unit the vehicle really does not consume much fuel. In the city – just over 10 liters, and on the highway – no more than 8. It has pleased me. Still Germans know how to make cars.
I have been driving a new Amarok for half a year. I like the big power and low fuel consumption. On the highway I spend only 8 liters per 100 km. Although in the city only 10 liters. But this is also relatively low, I think, if you look at the competitors. For example, take the same cars from the company Toyota. In terms of power are the same, but in terms of consumption too voracious.
Judging by the reviews of car owners and mechanics, Amarok is really considered a pickup truck with the lowest fuel consumption. It is believed that with proper care this consumption will not rise, but if you forget to change the oil and filters, there is a risk of losing the engine. Since diesel engines in Amarok are almost impossible to repair.
Volkswagen Amarok on an elevator. “The consumption is fabulous. One tank is enough for 1,000 km.”
Not so long ago we told you about the Japanese pickup Toyota Hilux, which is a very rare vehicle. While memories are fresh, we decided to go over the alternatives that can be found on the Belarusian market. One of these analogues is a VW Amarok. In our database of ads was not without difficulty found one, and its owner agreed to study the car on the elevator.
Dmitry works as an instructor in an outdoor club. Paintball, laser tag, airsoft does not do without his control and organization. At every game or corporate event, the man has to take a set of camouflage and equipment, as well as paintball markers for all participants. However, according to him, the hardest part is the drive back.
– After paintball, all uniforms are covered in paint, participants sweat in their ammunition during the game, so you know, you don’t want to get foreign odors and dirt in the cabin of your personal vehicle,” recalls Dmitry. – I needed a car of this type: passable and roomy, so that the interior would always remain clean and the body was used only for carrying cargo. After the game I threw everything into it – and forgot.
Before the German pickup the man drove a Volkswagen Multivan T5, which was simply miserable to use as a cargo van. Then our hero decided to buy a pickup. Of course we did not want to make a mistake with the purchase, so we had to study thoroughly the reviews on forums about the most popular models in our area: Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L200 and. VW Amarok! In the opinion of forum users, the last one had the cleanest “karma”. It was the choice of Dmitry.
– The car is considered as semi-exclusive: only 10 copies are on sale in Belarus today. First of all, not everybody needs it, and secondly, not everyone can afford it, – considers the man. – I bought this car two and a half years ago with mileage of 140 thousand km. Before that the car had one owner, who at one time purchased it in the official dealer center in 2012.
In the Amarok Dmitry notes the lightweight handling. Although the pickup has the base of a frame SUV, the feeling behind the wheel is quite comfortable.
– In fact, it is a big SUV, but it is a pleasure to drive it. At the same time, according to the documents, this VW Amarok is listed as a truck.
If the car belongs to the truck class, probably under the hood there should be a multi-cylinder beast – with a crazy torque and steam traction. So it seems to the majority of ordinary people. However, VW Amarok has a twin-turbocharged “diesel engine” with the modest volume of 2 liters, which produces 180 hp.
– Due to two turbines the pickup accelerates well, but due to the 2-liter volume a serious fuel economy is obtained. I like it very much, though at first I did not expect it. “Amarok came out as a very inexpensive car,” smiles the interlocutor. – Apparently, much depends on the manner of driving. For example, I do not tear up from every traffic light, and even set myself a speed limiter at 100 km / h. I have seen a lot of terrible accidents on highways abroad, so I do not exceed the speed limit.
In confirmation of his words about the fuel consumption Dmitry names real figures: in a city cycle the “appetite” of a car reaches 8,5 liters. On the highway diesel VW Amarok consumes even less – up to 6.5 liters.
– If I compare it with the old Multivan T5, I had to stop for gas every other day. That was frustrating. But here I fill up a full tank and forget. The volume of the tank is 80 liters. Just imagine, you can drive 1,000 kilometers on a full tank. It’s just a fabulous arrangement for such a heavy machine, – says the hero. – True, until the engine warms up, the ECU shows considerably higher consumption, but it almost instantly evens out.
Nevertheless, even a modest for the car of such dimensions “appetite” does not make Amarok a city car. First of all, because of the gearbox. Buying a pickup, Dmitry chose manual “six-speed”, which looked convenient and logical option. The man did not take into account too short first gear – in fact, it works as a “downshift” and you can only drive with it or slowly go up the hill.
– Look, – our interlocutor starts driving. – There is only 5 km/h on the speedometer and the engine already asks to shift to the second gear. It was an unpleasant surprise for me, but with time I got used to it. Still, for a car with a switchable all-wheel drive and a differential lock is normal. Definitely you will have troubles with it in a traffic jam!
By default VW Amarok is the rear-wheel drive vehicle. When the weighty engine is in front, and the light body is in back, the hill climb can be an impossible task for the pickup. At such moments, a switchable “front-end”, which distributes up to 40% of torque, comes to the rescue.
The rigid frame and off-road pedigree hint at the off-road capability of the mini-truck. However, the owner confesses that he did not want to drive it in a swamp. Moreover, according to Dmitry, the Amarok throws the snow cover up to 30 cm in height like a bulldozer, and confidently drives forward.
– The acceleration dynamics is also enough for the truck, but it is not a racing version. For a 2,5 tons truck it accelerates well. At first one turbine participates in this process, and then the second one switches on. That is why I don’t feel slackness and turbo,” says Dmitry, at once making a reservation. – Although I had a Mercedes ML, it really flew, but Amarok is not the car for such driving. There is even no sense to compare them.
The belonging to the class of the trucks is also proved by the three leaf rear suspension, which is “very soft and comfortable”, as the hero of the article says.
Aggressive look of the already impressive pickup is added by chrome bodykit: frame pipes with spotlights on the roof and additional bumper. But it turns out that it is partially a sham. “I can’t finish everything,” confesses the owner. The spotlights are not connected yet, and Dmitry doubts the protective function of the pipes, installed by the previous owner.
The interior of the Amarok does not look like a well-equipped car. Moreover, its dashboard and multimedia system are identical to the budget VW Polo.
“My friends have been teasing me for a long time: “I bought an Amarok, but inside it is a Polka,” laughs the man. – Among the minor drawbacks – poor noise insulation of the interior. Otherwise it is more a truck, there is not even a carpet. Instead of it there is rubberized plastic, which is a big advantage during the car washing. You just wipe it with a cloth.
Dmitry calls the cargo compartment “a big pantry, where you can put anything. The lid deserves special attention. It does not come with Amarok, and ordered as an option, and its cost starts at 1000 euros. In the Belarusian climate, the installation of the cargo cover becomes a necessity.
The owner of the pickup says he regularly reads thematic forums, learning about the weaknesses and weaknesses of the model. For 50 thousand km, which together with a man drove Amarok, there were no serious problems and unexpected failures. The only “chronic illness” has shown itself replaced the power steering. A new part with the work cost 200 rubles.
– Before each season I change the technical fluids: axles and gearbox. I try not to joke about it. After 12 thousand kilometers I change oil and filters. Such interval was advised to me by a service station of my friend. I have not caught this engine with too much oil yet.
The owner has no purpose to sell VW Amarok. He admits that he put up the ad as an experiment: will the potential buyers call or there is no interest to this model on the market.
– If someone is found and I give the car, I will take something newer for replacement, but the same format and character. For example, I like fresh Amarok with a three-liter diesel engine.
Dmitriy emphasizes that there were no problems with the car, that is why he is full of curiosity: will the masters of Bosch Car Service find the problems in his pickup or not? Well, together with the hero we go to the elevator!
On the elevator
– I can say right away that it is necessary to deal with the left front spring. It is cracked, – the Bosch Car Service employee points out the visible defect. – There is a play in the right ball bearing, it is also better to change it. The front bushing on the right lower arm should also be replaced. Now let’s measure thickness of brake disks, to do it you will have to remove front wheels.
The specialist continues to list the problematic parts of the chassis, which demand attention: bushing stabilizer, front brake discs and pads, rear shock absorbers.
The Volkswagen Amarok resembled a patient without pronounced symptoms, but with hidden diseases. “The doctor,” in the role of the master, called everything and called the nuances.
– Adjustment of the parking brake was recommended, there was a delay in turning the steering wheel, evidently something with the steering. Also the rear transmission pads are torn. There may be leaks in the steering system, but this will become clear after an additional and separate inspection,” said the service station specialist.
Examining the rear suspension springs, the foreman calmly says: “Sure, they’re rusty, but that’s no big deal – the main thing is that they work. And the rust is due to the fact that they heat up.
– There are separate issues with the calipers: preventive maintenance and development of the guides. Then we’ll need to see how the calipers themselves converge. If with difficulty, a complete replacement with a repair kit. Also the brake discs have used up their resource.
The owner of the pickup, watching the diagnostics, adds that they recently did an anti-corrosion treatment of the body. At the same time the eight-year-old car has noticeable paint bleeding on the edge of the driver’s door.
– The car needs to be renewed, but there is not much more to complain about. The diesel engine is reliable here, although after 250 thousand km run it needs some attention. Usually the problems arise with injectors, camshaft, hydro-compensators, – summarizes the employee of service. – These are sore spots, which are revealed at longer mileage.
The diagnosis of electronic units did not reveal any active errors and malfunctions of the system.
– I was a little upset with the results of check, but at least I have learnt about the faults. I will replace the most necessary things at once: ball joint, spring and everything else, – said Dmitriy about the diagnosis. – On the other hand, no serious breakage was found – the usual expendables. For me, the main thing is that there are no active errors in electronic units, for all that time, I have never read the car on the computer.
Do you own a crossover or a real SUV and want to tell us about it? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the mileage of the car, year of manufacture, engine, and everything you think you need (if the car is for sale, we’re waiting for a link to the ad in the directory av.by). We will be glad to hear from you!
av.by would like to thank Bosch Car Service for its help in preparing this article