Meaning of indicators on the dashboard in Volkswagen Tiguan
Author: Valeria Filinovich 05.06.2020 Time to read: 4 min 44,643 views No comments yet
In recent years, automakers began to gradually abandon the traditional dashboards on their cars, whose main feature was a digital display and an analog dial. They are being replaced by digital multimedia systems.
The electronic dashboard of the Volkswagen Tiguan appeared on cars of this model in 2017. Starting from the moment the ignition is turned on, it begins to display information about the status of various nodes and systems. This is done with the help of indicators of different colors, sometimes in addition there is a sound signal.
The device of the dashboard in the Volkswagen Tiguan
Equipment and comfort of the car depends on the configuration. In earlier versions of the Tiguan dashboard is equipped with an analog speedometer and tachometer, between which is placed a functional screen, which can be color or monochrome.
The latest Tiguan models are already equipped with peculiar onboard computers, which display all the information about the settings of the car and its condition. All the necessary information while driving appears on a multifunctional color display on the Tiguan’s instrument panel, which remains in the driver’s field of vision all the time. A smartphone can be connected to the display.
Selection of the multimedia system is made taking into account the configuration of the Volkswagen Tiguan. Four options are possible:
- Composition Color . Equipped with a touchscreen with 5-inch color screen, CD-player MP3 and WMA with 8 speakers, SD-card slot, AUX-IN jack.
- Composition Media . Equipped with all the same devices, but the screen is larger up to 8 inches, there are additional proximity sensors, USB, Bluetooth.
- Discover Media . Unlike the previous versions, this model is equipped with navigation with preinstalled Russian map.
- Discover Pro . The equipment set is added with a hard drive and a DVD player.
The instrument panel of the new Tiguan (basic configuration) is equipped with a multifunctional display Plus.
OFFROAD, Highline and Sportline configurations of Tiguan are equipped with a digital panel Active Info Display. The screen is 10 inches in color. Characterized by increased image clarity, functionality and beautiful animations
The appearance of the dashboard in a modern Volkswagen Tiguan
The meaning of the indicators
About any problem that appears on the road, the driver learns about the icons on the panel. If there are malfunctions in several units, the indicators light up one by one until the problems are corrected.
The Tiguan’s digital dashboard displays:
- data about systems and subassemblies;
- gearshift recommendations;
- mileage data;
- multifunction screen and menus;
- outside temperature;
- service information;
- additional speed indication.
Ignoring the signals on the dashboard is unacceptable, it often leads to failure of the car right on the road, and in severe cases – to an accident and complex injuries.
Types of pictograms on the dashboard of the Volkswagen Tiguan
To understand the meaning of the indicators on the dashboard Volkswagen Tiguan, first of all, you need to pay attention to what color the icon on the display, regardless of whether the icon lights continuously, blinks, there was a beep or not:
- Red . The most important color in terms of priority, indicates the presence of danger. You need to stop, check the malfunction, fix it, call for help if necessary.
- Yellow . Warning signal, indicates malfunction or lack of fluids, possibility of breakdown, machine failure. It is necessary to check if the system is faulty.
- Green . Information about the condition of the car, the work of its various units.
Types of pictograms on the dashboard of the Volkswagen Tiguan
System and unit status
Information on what the state of the systems and assemblies, whether there are any malfunctions, you can get when one of the following signs lights up on the dashboard of the Tiguan:
- Car and Key . Indicates that the engine is malfunctioning, often affecting the transmission or one of the sensors.
- Red car and lock . Anti-theft system malfunction. Blinking indicator means the car is locked.
- Car and exclamation point yellow . The hybrid motor drive is defective.
- Open door . If the car’s doors are closed, the contacts of the door limit switch wires are broken.
- Slippery Road . When a key, triangle, crossed out skid sign illuminates along with this sign, look for a malfunction in the stability control system.
- Wrench . It’s getting close to the time for a maintenance checkup.
Icons on the dashboard of the Volkswagen Tiguan can carry a warning meaning. For example, the blinking immobilizer sign means that the car is closed. But if the sign of a red car and a white key appeared at the same time, it is a sign of the operation of the anti-theft system.
If the immobilizer light does not blink, there are three possible reasons:
- the anti-theft system is not working,
- no immobiliser activation,
- the tags are not read from the keys.
Other warning icons:
- Steering wheel . The yellow color of this indicator indicates that adaptation is needed, the red color indicates the possibility of breakdown of the steering or ESC.
- Handbrake . Illuminates when the handbrake lever is raised, the brake pads are worn, or there is a lack of brake fluid.
- ASR icon . Usually looks like a triangle with an exclamation mark inside and a circular arrow or a picture of a slippery road and a car on the outside. If constantly lit, it is a failure of the anti-skid system.
- Catalyst . Signifies overheating of this component, there is a simultaneous decrease in the power of the motor. The presence of ignition problems or clogging of the honeycomb.
- Exhaust gases . Faulty exhaust cleaning system. Often indicative of bad fueling or errors in the “lambda zone” sensor.
Types of pictograms on the dashboard of the Volkswagen Tiguan
Lack of fluid.
Icons often signal a lack of certain fluids or the need to replace them.
- A red light bulb and thermometer show an increase in temperature inside the cooling system.
- A yellow tank with waves appears – the coolant is running low.
- The washer icon appears when there is not enough fluid or the glass washer is clogged.
Malfunctions and breakdowns
The following icons appear on the Tiguan dashboard when malfunctions and breakdowns occur:
- Battery . Reduced on-board voltage, no battery charge from the alternator.
- Buttercup (red) . Sometimes accompanied by an inscription. Insufficient oil or drop in oil pressure, lubrication system malfunction.
- Pillow . It comes in different shapes, but any red pattern means passive safety mechanism failure. That means the airbags will fail in emergency situations.
- ABS . Anti-lock brakes malfunction .
- ESP . Stabilization mechanism malfunctions: brake lights or angle sensors break down, pressure inside the brake system is broken.
- Engine (Injector) . The yellow color signals a violation of the electronic system of the engine.
In many serious situations, an exclamation mark appears on the Tiguan dashboard.
- If it is red and located inside a circle, then there are violations of the braking mechanism.
- The sign is located inside a yellow or red field – a violation of the electronic stabilization system.
The electronics in the cabin repeatedly increases the reliability and comfort of driving. But there are also disadvantages: a person behind the wheel gets used to the fact, that everything is under control and relaxes, and at the most inappropriate moment, electronics can fail. And in such situations, not every person is able to instantly take over the control function. Sometimes it takes up to six minutes.
The animated dashboard of VW Tiguan is the subject of this video:
VW Tiguan dashboard: description of the designations
The dashboard of the Volkswagen Tiguan differs from other layouts with improved readability and easy perception of the individual elements.
Such design features are relevant for most cars of the concern.
Description of the icons on the dashboard of Volkswagen Tiguan
Below is the designation of all the lights and indicators that can be found on the dashboard of the car in different configurations.
|Appearance||Meaning of the indication|
|The symbol indicates that there are problems with the brake system.|
|If this light is on, it indicates that the powertrain is overheating.|
|The oil pressure in the engine crankcase has dropped. Here it is better to check the lubrication level and the pump.|
|The battery is not getting a charge. This may indicate a broken alternator.|
|It is necessary to check the engine. Serious breakdowns have been detected in the design.|
|The indicator light is no longer mounted as of 2018. The light indicates the need to pay attention to the dashboard.|
|Airbag activation line is damaged.|
|Immobilizer is on, vehicle movement is not possible.|
|There is a critical malfunction inside the automatic transmission, further movement of the car is unacceptable.|
|The oil in the transmission crankcase has overheated.|
|There is a malfunction in the power steering.|
|The handbrake is raised. If not, you need to check the line.|
|Indicates module malfunction.|
|Brake pads are badly worn.|
|The pressure in the wheels has dropped below the set mark, check the tire inflation.|
|The catalytic converter has overheated, let the part cool down.|
|The air filter on the intake manifold is clogged.|
|Brake assist module is defective.|
|The directional stability system is deactivated.|
|The battery in the key is discharged.|
|Speed control module is activated and is operating normally.|
|ECO mode is activated. Some of the cylinders are deactivated (optional).|
|Glow plug heating enabled.|
|Diesel particle filter malfunction.|
|Installed optionally – indicates malfunction in exhaust filtration system.|
|Exterior light bulbs are operating normally.|
|High beam headlights are on.|
|Auto headlight control is off.|
|Auto headlight control is on.|
|Front fog lights are on.|
|Indicators of operation of turn signals. The lights flash simultaneously when an alarm is activated. The action is accompanied by an audible signal.|
|Driver’s seat belt is not fastened.|
|One of the vehicle doors is not closed. If everything is in torque, it is advisable to check the pressure sensors.|
|Windshield washer system malfunction.|
|The hill assist system is disabled.|
|Described system is defective.|
Exclamation mark on Tiguan dashboard
The yellow symbol on the dashboard is installed from 2013 onwards. The indicator indicates the need to check the dashboard. The light illuminates at the same time as the other indicators, which indicate the problem itself.
Steering wheel icon on the Tiguan dashboard
If the red steering wheel indicator light on the dashboard is on, it indicates that the control system is glitchy. There may be a malfunction in the EPC module or a mechanical failure of the actuators.
EPC on the dashboardVolkswagen Tiguan
If the EPS light comes on, it tells you that the engine control system module is glitching. There could be many reasons for this.
- ignition malfunction;
- failure of sensors;
- malfunction of pressure systems;
- improper fuel delivery.
There may also be wiring problems, terminal and connector failures.
Tiguan’s Dashboard Errors
The following are only the most common faults found on the vehicle’s dashboard.
|00042/3||Malfunctions of parking lights.|
|00061/63||The exterior lighting is defective.|
|00109/110||The turn signal lamps are glitchy.|
|00120/123||Sill illumination is off.|
|00046/47||Headlight washer is defective.|
|00056||Cabin temperature regulator fan defective.|
|00058||Windshield heater relay defective.|
|00164||Battery charging control element has failed.|
|00457||On-board network control module is malfunctioning.|
|00474||The immobilizer is malfunctioning.|
|00476||Fuel pump is malfunctioning.|
|00532||Voltage fluctuations in the on-board network.|
|00588||Airbags are disconnected or the actuator is damaged.|
|00909||Front windshield wiper is defective.|
|00915/918||The power window switches are not functioning properly.|
|01165||DPDZ is not sending the correct information.|
|00256||The high temperature sensor is glitching.|
|00282||DS is glitching.|
|00300||Engine oil temperature sensor is reading too high.|
How to disassemble the dashboard
To dismantle the panel, you will need to follow a certain sequence of actions.
- De-energize the car and set it in its current position.
- Unscrew the plastic cover plates of the steering rack trim, if they are in the way.
- Next, you will need to remove the plugs of the trim mount screws and unscrew them.
- After this you can remove the trim plate and open access to the module itself.
- Now you need to remove the screws and lift the panel from its seat.
- At the end of the procedure, you will need to reach under the panel and disconnect the contact groups of devices.
Tiguan’s dashboard is a modern module that provides convenience when using it. The dashboard stands out for its simple design and easy perception of visual information by the driver.
Specialty: I graduated from a state automobile university, worked for 20 years on the GAZ-56, now I drive a Zhiguli.