7 best canisters for fuel
Additional containers for transportation and storage of fuel and lubricants will help to avoid unpleasant situations when the car runs out of fuel and there is no developed network of gas stations nearby. In addition, convenient fuel canisters refuel various tools and equipment – quad bike, generator, saw, chainsaw and other garden accessories. Consider the best fuel canisters.
The best iron canisters
Metal tanks for storing fuel and lubricants are represented by Russian manufacturers. The best models are considered Gigant KS-20, Airline ACF-10M and ACF-5M, Autoprofi KAN-500.
The single-capacity steel canister is a vertical 20-liter canister. You can store and carry gasoline and diesel. The lid closes tightly and has a separate latch. Steel grade – 25L 35L. Dimensions: 350x470x165 mm. Weight – 2,86 kg. Production – Russia.
- High quality steel.
- Easy handle.
- Classic layout.
- Well-fitting sealed lid – no fuel spills even when lying down.
- High-quality enamel painting.
- Availability of safety lock for closing.
- There are some defective products with scratched body.
- No pressure equalization system inside – the need to open the jerry can periodically during temperature changes.
The 10 liter iron canister is a vertical type. Can hold a variety of flammable liquids, and can be easily transported in the trunk of the car. It has a handy hinged lid with a latch – no fuel leaks in almost any condition. Container body is high quality painted and protected from corrosion and scratches. Dimensions: 286x378x141 mm. Made in Russia.
- Handy lock – a retractable pin prevents accidental opening.
- Notch in the bottom of the canister allows you to conveniently take the bottom with your second hand to tilt at any angle.
- Takes up little space in car trunk.
- Thin metal and flimsy, crooked-cut rubber gasket.
- Poor paint quality, without a primer – quickly peels off the top layer.
- Inconvenient to pour fuel.
- The neck is cracking and leaking because of temperature changes, especially in summer time the tank is loose.
Galvanized steel canister of the horizontal type with a screw cap. Holds up to 20 liters of fuel. Equipped with by-pass valve, handy watering can. Corrosion practically does not take this product, it serves for a long time. Handles for holding – 3. Due to the small weight of the tank (3.3 kg), transportation is easy and simple. Thanks to the air bypass valve accelerates the process of filling the fuel. Dimensions: 440x310x300 mm. It is completed with AutoProfi watering can with an extender. Made in Russia.
- Ease of work with all types of necks due to the additional watering can.
- Rubber shoulder protects jerrycans from mechanical damages.
- Easy transportation – trunk of a car, ATV, snowmobile or motorboat.
- Does not tip over due to its horizontal shape.
- No sharp angles.
- Metal attachment nut on the spout.
- Can hold more than 20 liters, but it is not recommended to do so because of safety engineering.
- You must always leave an air gap, especially during the hot season – the liquid expands, when you open the throat or valve comes out under strong pressure.
- Poor quality painting of the bottom.
- Thin canister metal – gets damaged, especially at the bottom with prolonged use.
Metal 5 liter vertical canister, which can be used for storing and transporting gasoline and diesel fuel onboard an ATV or in the trunk of a car. The lid with a latch eliminates the possibility of fuel leakage. Dimensions: 283x139x240 mm. Weight – 1,3 kg.
- Triple handle for easy transportation and tilting – can also be carried in pairs.
- Fills up at gas stations without any problems.
- Takes up little space in the car.
- Tightly closing lid.
- Poor quality and crooked fit the top of the canister.
- The inside of the neck is badly painted, paint is peeling in some places.
The best plastic jerrycans
In the rating are: the American DDE 917-866, the German Stels 53122 and the Russian Gigant G-1092.
A plastic one-capacity canister for 10 liters of vertical shape. Mostly used for filling gasoline-driven tools. Dimensions: 304x169x342 mm. Weight – 640 g. Made in USA.
- American quality.
- Perfect cap – it sits tightly and doesn’t leak.
- Prevents unintentional loosening.
- May swell due to increased ambient temperature.
- Leak does not have an air valve – not very convenient to pour fuel, as it splashes and squelches.
10-liter plastic canister for storing and carrying fuel in an upright shape. It has a handy watering can for refueling. Dimensions: 300h300h170 mm. Weight – 610g. Made in Germany.
- Quality made in Germany.
- Easy grip.
- Leaks through the lid after a few years of use.
- Compulsory use of a funnel.
- Uncomfortable to use the hose included in the kit – also it is not tightly screwed to the neck.
This model is a Russian made 10-liter plastic jerry can. Dimensions: 330x310x150 mm. The weight of the product – 620 g. Form – vertical.
- High quality plastic – does not deteriorate from gasoline or diesel.
- Good sealing, time-tested.
- Somewhat overpriced.
What canister to buy
The following characteristics must be taken into account before selecting a product.
A 10-liter canister is enough to reach the gas station, but if you use the car for long distances, it is advisable to pay attention to the 20-liter capacity.
Form and design
More popular is the classic rectangular version, which fits in the trunk standing up.
The tank must comply with the safety and transportation of fuel, have a system of protection against accidental leakage.
Stainless steel is the best option, but expensive. Aluminum tank does not rust and is quite lightweight, but quickly rubs and oxidizes. A plastic canister is even lighter, won’t rust, and is not tougher than metal products, and requires the utmost care.
The best gasoline canisters – peculiarities of choice
Some drivers do not understand why they need an additional container for gasoline, because in large cities and on busy highways there is a developed network of gas stations. But experienced motorists know that there is never a lot of fuel. The presence of such a reservoir will help to avoid unpleasant situations, but in this matter it is necessary to take a responsible approach to the choice of canister.
Experts warn that the lack of tightness creates a threat to the fire safety of the car. Therefore, every driver should study in detail the tips that will help determine which gasoline canister is better.
How to choose a canister
First of all, it is necessary to become familiar with the peculiarities of gasoline storage. So, there are certain rules:
- The tank must be hermetically sealed, which prevents the evaporation of gasoline;
- The sun’s rays must not fall on the canister;
- To keep the fuel for a long time it is necessary to store it at a low temperature.
Simple storage conditions in the central part of the Russian Federation allow achieving safety up to 12 months, and if the gasoline will be in the tank – 6 months. In the south of the country this period is reduced by half, and in the northern part, on the contrary, is increased by half.
Important! There is a way to return the performance properties to the expired product. So, you need to add fresh fuel to the old one in the ratio of 1:2. For example, you should use about 3 liters of fresh gasoline for 1 liter of expired gasoline.
When buying a gasoline canister, you should pay attention to the following features:
- The absence of nicks, irregularities and other flaws, as all of them negatively affect the stability of the container;
- the presence of a handle for easy carrying, as well as a tube for drainage;
- weight, volume and material;
- resistance to corrosion.
Fuel canisters qualify according to several indicators. These must include the capacity, material, shape. They are also differentiated by the diameter of the neck. It can be narrow and wide, namely, 29 – 45 and 50 – 90 cm, respectively.
In addition, it is important to pay attention to the method of closing, which has two types: a plug with a thread or a clamping mechanism. The latter option is more reliable, but sometimes in the summer time the pressure of vapors tears it off.
The secondary characteristics, which should not be given special importance, include:
- handle design, shape.
Before you figure out in which canister to store gasoline, you need to familiarize yourself with the characteristics of the materials from which they are made. Metal and plastic (polypropylene, elastic polyethylene) are used for this purpose. They are considered the basic materials.
Products made of metal are considered more durable, wear-resistant. For these tanks can use this type of metal:
- stainless steel – strong, heavy, fire-resistant, frost-resistant, does not corrode, does not react chemically with fuel, also characterized by high cost;
- steel – light material, does not react chemically with gasoline, but is exposed to corrosion;
- aluminum – is characterized by medium strength, availability, it does not rust and is difficult to clean. Most often found in the classic rectangular shape. In turn, containers are divided into polished, matte and enamelled.
Plastic canisters are very popular among drivers. This is due to their cheapness. Also among the main advantages of the tank should be noted silence, light weight and convenience during transportation in the trunk. For the manufacture of such containers use organic materials, and to reduce the accumulation of static electricity, additionally use special additives. Thanks to a special plastic design, the lids are hermetically sealed, which allows you to transport the filled tank in any position.
Plastic containers also have disadvantages. For example, it can deform under the influence of sunlight, crack after a hard blow, begin to leak in severe frosts. Experts also warn that some manufacturers do not have certificates of safety of the used raw materials.
Important! Based on the law of the Russian Federation, gas stations are forbidden to dispense fuel in a polyethylene glass tank. This is due to the possibility of spark formation, the cause of which can be a discharge of static electricity. That is why filling stations may use such containers only after presenting a quality certificate.
According to shape and volume
Nowadays there are following types of tanks
- small – up to 5 liters;
- medium – from 5 to 10 liters;
- large – from 20 to 50 liters.
Most often drivers buy containers for 20 liters. They also differ in shape. They can be:
- horizontal – have a small height, a wide base, do not require additional fastening during transportation;
- vertical – strengthened by improvised or special means, can be laid on the side provided that they are hermetically sealed;
- Combined – represent two communicating by means of a tube, one of them has a smaller volume where oil is stored. Such canisters are designed for snowmobiles and motorcycles.
The latter variety is considered an excellent solution for mixing the liquid in the desired proportion. A distinctive feature of such designs is the presence of two necks, markings on the body. The disadvantages of the combined canister include a small period of storage of fuel, as well as a ban on storage in a warm room.
The best canister
There is an actual rating of the most in-demand tanks. Thus, the best gasoline canisters:
- Skyway – metal, corrosion-resistant coating, vertical and horizontal type, volume of 10 and 20 liters, made in Russia;
- Handy GAS TANK – metal, made in Japan, available in vertical and horizontal types, capacity of 5, 10 and 20 liters;
- Carfort – steel, corrosion-resistant coating, made in China, horizontal and vertical, 10 and 20 liters;
- Autoprofi – steel, corrosion-resistant coating, vertical and horizontal, capacity of 10, 20 and 25 liters, made in Russia.
Among aluminum canisters should be noted companies Stal and Woxin Metal (China), Scovo and DEM MT (Russia), and among stainless steel popular Global Market and Eurostandard, they are all produced in Russia. When choosing plastic jerrycans you should pay attention to Geri, Phantom, Tatonka Faltkanister, Zipower, Extreme.
The best combination canisters are:
- ADA Fuel & Oil Canister;
- DDE 647-703;
- Husqvarna 5776164-25;
- Champion C995.
If we talk about canisters, characterized by a wide neck, stand out Burkle GmbH, Technohim by Rustam, Alternativa.
For comfortable transportation created tanks with wheels. Such models have a large volume. The best of them are Hydroller 8G and Fiamma Roil-Tank. Tanks with taps are also convenient, usually models can be found in German manufacturers Pressol, AceCamp Accordion Jerrycan and Behroplast. There are tanks with cranes and the Russian company Sanplatec.
Before buying the packaging decide for what purpose it is needed. If we are talking about storage, you should give preference to tanks with a wide neck, an inexpensive option would be plastic models. For long-term storage in the trunk, horizontal tanks will do, as they take up little space. If the purchase involves frequent visits to gas stations for subsequent refueling of the car, it is better to use metal products.