Electronic ignition installation on VAZ
Some owners of classic cars of the VAZ 2101-07 family are constantly trying to improve, refine, add electronics and convenience. One of these modifications is the installation of contactless electronic ignition.
Which ignition is better: contactless or contact ignition?
Contact ignitions are obsolete, but are still used in older cars. On the rear-wheel drive models of Vaz, contactless was first installed on the 2107.
Let’s break down the differences between contact and non-contact ignition:
The advantages of contactless ignition:
- Since there is no contact group in the distributor, spark formation occurs clearly;
- high service life of the coil;
- At medium engine speeds, the DSZ generates a spark 4 times more powerful than contact ignition. This is especially useful if the spark plugs are dirty, as the spark will still be produced;
- Performs its functions perfectly, even in frosty weather;
- if the mains voltage is low, the spark formation will still take place;
- thanks to the powerful stable spark plugs, the ignition of the fuel-air mixture is quicker;
- if the spark plugs are installed, the fuel consumption is reduced and the engine power is increased;
- vehicle acceleration dynamics are improved;
- The secondaries are easier to service, because there are no moving parts in the device.
The device of contactless ignition system
The device BSZ for carbureted engines consists of:
- Trumbler. This is the device that is responsible for creating the spark at the right moment. It is also called the distributor of the ignition system.
- The high-voltage coil. This element in the ignition system device receives low voltage from the battery, converts it and delivers high voltage. Therefore, high-voltage wires come from it. The coil consists of two windings. The primary is made of a large cross-section wire (connects to the electrical part of the car through the ignition switch relay), the secondary is many turns of thin wire (connects the high-voltage wire to the trambler).
- Commutator. This element of the contactless ignition system is responsible for the formation of the spark. In simple words, the commutator is a signal amplifier. The commutator is only in the ignition system of internal combustion engines with a carburetor. By the way, the best SOLEX carburetor is considered. On injector Vaz 2107, as well as on others – the commutator is not necessary, because its functions are performed by the on-board computer controller.
- High voltage and conventional wiring. High-voltage wiring must meet the requirements of powerful insulation.
- Terminals. Serve as connections, must be strong.
Electronic and contactless ignition system is the same device. Received the name because of the absence of a contact group in the device of the system. The ignition switch also has a contact group, which is a frequent cause of engine start failure.
The device of the trambler:
- sliding contact (runner).
Diagrams of connection of electronic ignition: VAZ 2101-VAZ 2107
Diagram of contactless ignition system for VAZ cars:
1 – commutator; 2 – ignition coil (bobbin); 3 – trambler; 4 – ignition switch key; 5 – Hall sensor.
How contactless ignition works
The sequence and principle of BSZ operation is as follows:
- The driver turns the ignition key.
- The circuit is closed and DC voltage from the battery is applied to the primary coil of the ignition coil. The primary winding under voltage forms a magnetic field around itself.
- When the starter is started, it begins to turn the crankshaft of the internal combustion engine and rotates the shaft, which is located inside the trammel along with the runner.
- The hall sensor detects how the tumbler shaft rotates (by the protrusion on the shaft) and transmits a signal to the commutator.
- The electronic unit disconnects the voltage supply to the primary winding at the Hall sensor signal.
- When the voltage supply circuit is interrupted, at this point there is a high voltage pulse of up to 24 kilovolts in the secondary coil, which is transmitted through a thick wire to the slider (the moving part of the trambler).
- Fixed contacts are built into the roof. The runner throws a pulse at one of these fixed contacts. From the contact that received the high voltage pulse, it is transmitted through the high voltage wires to the spark plugs of those cylinders where the pistons are in the upper dead center.
- At the time the voltage is applied to the spark plug, the working combustion chamber of the cylinder already has fuel and air in a compressed state for ignition.
- The ignition slider rotates the spark plugs in a specific sequence: 1-3-4-2. Depending on how to install the slider, depends on the entire operation of the system, early ignition or late, we learned in another material.
- The car engine starts.
ECSs can be interchangeable, and sometimes they are not repairable.
Diagram of VAZ obsolete ignition system (without commutator)
1 – trambler (distributor); 2 – circuit breaker; 3 – capacitor; 4 – ignition coil (spool); 5 – battery; 6 – ignition switch; 7 – spark plugs.
Such a circuit in systems where there is no commutator. The circuit is broken mechanically with the help of a breaker.
Minuses of contact ignition:
- Contacts get burned and oxidized, which causes the power to create a spark to decrease.
- There are wearing parts which are recommended to be replaced every 20,000 km.
- Converting power in contact systems is up to 18 kilovolts. Electronic or contactless systems have up to 24 kilovolts.
Minuses of contactless ignition:
Selecting a BSZ
When buying a new BSZ, you should pay attention to the availability of the components of the entire kit. The factory kit should include:
- Trumbler (main distributor). The part number for 1.5 and 1.6 engines is 38.37061. For 1.3 engines, the number will be 38.3706-01, because the block height of the 1.3 engine is lower and the tumbler shaft is shorter.
- The commutator is either 36.3734 or 3620.3734.
- High voltage coil (spool). Marking 27.3705.
- Thin wires with connectors.
In appearance is very similar BSZ kit for VAZ 2121 NIVA. But it is better not to put this set on VAZ 2107 or on VAZ 2106, because the characteristics of “six” and “seven” are very different from the “Niva”. Tumbler brands for Niva: 3810.3706 or 38.3706-10.
The best manufacturer of electronic ignition systems for older VAZ cars is the company “SOATE”. The base of production capacity is located in the town of Stary Oskol. According to reviews of car owners of classic models BSZ SOATE is a great option.
Installing contactless ignition Vaz 2107, 2106
To install BSZ with your own hands, you will need the following tools:
- Screwdrivers (flat and cross);
- Wrenches horn on 8, 10, 13 mm;
- Pliers (needle-nose pliers);
- Slot wrench;
- Drill or screwdriver with a drill diameter of 3-3.5 mm. You will have to drill two holes in the body to fix the commutator.
- Special key to rotate the crankshaft of the internal combustion engine or an ordinary 30 mm horn.
You do not need a pit to install the ignition. Here, in fact, is the procedure for removing the old contact ignition:
- Open the hood, disconnect the battery and disconnect the high-voltage wires from the spark plugs.
- Unscrew the spark plugs.
- Rotate the engine crankshaft until the piston in the first cylinder reaches top dead center (TDC). Use a long screwdriver or wire to check where the piston is. Make sure the crankshaft pulley mark aligns with the longest mark on the cylinder block.
- Disconnect the catches of the tramlock cover and remove it with the wires. Draw the mark on the valve cover opposite the slider.
- Disconnect the hose coming from the carburetor and all the distributor wires.
- Unscrew the mounting nut and remove the distributor with the gasket.
- Unscrew fasteners of the coil (remember which wires are attached to where) and remove it.
The order of installation of contactless electronic ignition on Vaz 2106-2107.
After installation in the correct sequence, start the engine and start tuning the ignition. If after installing the new electronic proximity ignition, the engine will not start, you should check the correct connection of the coil and high-voltage wires to the spark plugs. If the wires are normal, the marks are not aligned.
Installation of electronic ignition in the video on the classic cars VAZ 2101-2107.
In this video all the nuances are chewed up.
Stroboscope is a device with which even a beginner can correctly set the ignition. For more information on setting the ignition with a stroboscope, see the video.
What is the difference between a contactless distributor and an electronic one
Modern contactless distributor and coil
The modern contactless ignition system or BSZ is an advanced and constructive solution, a kind of continuation of the old contact-transistor system. Here, the usual contact-fuse is replaced by a special and productive regulator. And what else is the difference between the two systems? Let’s find out.
The KSS is the first, already outdated version of the ignition, which is still used on rare car models. In the KSS, the current and its segregation is carried out by the trambler with the help of a contact group.
It includes such components as a mechanical selector and a mechanical selector, an ignition coil, a vacuum sensor, etc.
The mechanical selector or disconnecting switch
Contact ignition system diagram
This is the component that has the function of carrying out the disconnection of the low-current link. In other words, the current generated in the primary winding. The voltage goes to the contact group, the elements of which are protected from burning by a special coating. In addition, there is a heat exchanger capacitor connected simultaneous to the contact group.
The ignition coil in the KCZ is the current converter. This is where the low voltage current is transformed into high current. As with the BSZ, two types of windings are used.
A mechanical distributor or simply a tumbler
This component is capable of supplying high current to the SPZ in an efficient manner. The tumbler itself consists of many elements, but the main ones are the cover and the rotor or runner (folks.).
The cover is made so that it has main and auxiliary type connectors on the inside. The high current is received by the center contact, and is distributed to the spark plugs through the side (auxiliary) contacts.
The mechrocoupler and spreader are a single tandem, as is the hall sensor with the commutator in the CVT. They are driven by the crankshaft drive. In layman’s terms, both elements are called a single word “tramler”.
TDC – regulator, which serves to change the ignition timing depending on the number of revolutions of the crankshaft of the power unit. A priori consists of 2 weights acting on a plate.
Tuning of ignition timing.
The ignition timing, in other words, is the angle at which the high voltage current is directly transferred to the ignition timing. In order for the combustible mixture to burn without residues, the ignition is advanced.
The ignition timing in the CCZ is set with the help of a special device.
ATT or vacuum sensor
It provides the ignition timing change depending on the engine load. In other words, this indicator is a direct consequence of the throttle opening degree, which depends on the accelerator pedal pressure. The throttle valve is behind the throttle valve, and is able to change the advance angle.
Armature conduits are obligatory elements, peculiar communications, serving to transmit current with high voltages to the timing plate and from the latter to the spark plugs.
The function of the BCD is as follows.
- The breaker contact is closed – low-voltage current is engaged in the coil.
- The contact is open – already in the secondary winding the current is engaged, but with high voltages. It is fed to the upper part of the tumbler, and then spreads through the armature wires further.
- The number of revolutions of the crankshaft is increased – at the same time the number of revolutions of the breaker shaft is increased. The weights under the influence diverge, the moving plate moves. The advance angle increases due to opening of the breaker contacts.
- The crankshaft RPM is reduced – the advance angle is automatically reduced.
Vacuum regulator trambler
The contact-transistor ignition system – this is a further upgrade of the old KCZ. The difference is that the commutator was already used. As a result, the life of the contact group was increased.
In the KSP one of the mandatory, important elements is the coil. It includes a line of very important components, such as windings, tube, resistor, core, etc.
The difference between a low voltage winding and a high voltage winding is not only in the nature of the voltage. The primary winding has fewer turns than the secondary winding. The difference can reach a very large number. For example, 400 and 25000 turns, but the size of these turns will be many times smaller.
What elements does the BSZ consist of
The BSZ is a modernized transformation of the KSS. In it, the mechanical chopper is replaced by a sensor. Today, most domestic models and foreign cars are equipped with such ignition.
Note. Quickdischarge system can act as an additional element of the CSZ, or operate completely independently.
The use of LSZ allows a significant increase in the power performance of the power plant. It is especially important that the fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are reduced.
The BSZ ignition coil
In short, the BSZ includes a number of components, among which the switch, pulse controller, commutator, etc. take a special place.
BSZ – a device that is similar to the contact ignition system, has a number of positive aspects. However, according to some experts, it is not without disadvantages.
Let’s look at the main elements of the BSZ to get a better overview.
Pulse controller or PIR* – this component is designed to create low voltage electrical pulses. In modern techno-industry it is common to use 3 types of DEI, but only one of them – Hall sensor – is widely used in the automotive sphere.
As you know, Hall is a genius scientist, who was the first to come up with the idea of rational and effective use of the magnetic field.
This type of sensor consists of a magnet, a semiconductor plate with a chip, and a gate with notches which actually transmit the magnetic field.
Note. The obturator has slots, but in addition to this, there is also a steel screen. The latter does not sieve anything, and in this way, alternation is created.
DEI – electromagnetic pulse sensor
The regulator is structurally connected with the tumbler, thus forming a device of a single type – the regulator-tumbler, externally similar in many functions to the breaker. For example, both have a similar crankshaft drive.
The transistor commutator (CTT) is a useful component that serves to interrupt the electricity in the ignition coil circuit. Of course, the CTT functions in accordance with the DEI, constituting together with the latter a unified and practical tandem. The electrical charge is interrupted by opening/closing the output transistor.
And in the BSZ, the coil performs the same functions as in the KCZ. There are, of course, differences (presented in detail below). In addition, an electric commutator is used here which interrupts the circuit.
The BSZ-coil is more reliable and better in all respects. The starting of the power plant is improved, the work of the motor in different modes becomes more effective.
How does the coil-spring coil function?
The rotation of the propulsion system crankshaft affects the tandem of the tumbler-regulator. Voltage pulses are thereby generated and transmitted to the CTT. This generates a current in the ignition coil.
Note. You should know that in auto electrics it is customary to talk about two types of windings: primary (low) and secondary (high). The current pulse is created in the low one, and the high one – in the high one.
Schematic of the BSZ functioning
Next, the high voltage is transferred from the coil to the distributor. In the distributor it is received by the central contact, from which the current is transmitted through all the armature wires to the spark plugs. The latter carry out the ignition of the combustible mixture, and the engine starts.
As soon as the crankshaft rpm increases, the CVT* adjusts the ignition timing**. And if the load on the power plant changes, the vacuum sensor is responsible for the advance angle.
Clockwise – centrifugal ignition timing advance control
advance angle – ignition timing.
Undoubtedly, the distributor itself, whether it is old or new, is an obligatory element of the ignition system of the car, which contributes to the appearance of quality spark formation.
In the new style distributor all the shortcomings of the contact distributor are eliminated. True, the new distributor costs an order of magnitude more, but it pays off, as a rule, later.
As written above, the new distributor, which does not have a contact group, is used in the operation of the BSZ. Here, the role of the breaker and connector is performed by the CTT and the Hall sensor.
An ignition system in which the distribution of high voltage to the engine cylinders is carried out by means of electrical devices is called an ESZ. In some cases, this system is also referred to as a “microprocessor system”.
It should be noted that both former systems – KSS and BSZ also included some elements of electrical devices, but the ESZ does not imply the use of any mechanical components at all. In essence, it is the same BSZ, only more modernized.
The Electronic Ignition System
On modern cars, the ESZ is a necessary part of the internal combustion engine control system. And in newer cars, which came out recently, ESZ works in a group with the exhaust, intake and cooling systems.
There are quite a few models of such systems today. These include the world-famous Bosch Motronic, Simos, Magnetic Marelli, and lesser-known counterparts.
- In the contact ignition, the choppers or contacts are closed mechanically, and in the MCS, they are electronically closed. In other words, contacts are used in the CCZ, and the Hall sensor is used in the TSZ.
- The SFP is more stable and the spark is stronger.
There are also differences between the coils. Both systems have different markings and different ignition coils. For example, the BSZ coil has more turns. In addition, the BSZ coil is considered more reliable and powerful.
Thus, we have found out that there are 3 ignition versions in use today. Different tumblers are used, respectively.