Nine facts about the engine of the future – Ford’s EcoBoost
If you think your next car is bound to be electric, we’ll disappoint you – even in 2020, 80 percent of cars are still projected to be fueled by petroleum products. However, some things are going to change in the under-the-hood world. To be prepared for those changes, we took apart the engine that won International Engine of the Year for the third year in a row – Ford’s EcoBoost.
1. Instead of little, it used to be simple: the bigger the engine displacement, the better the car. Now, everything is upside down. Horsepower of EcoBoost is from 100 up to 140 “horses”. But its volume is such that it is embarrassing before the boys – 999 cm3. It is not surprising, that the volume of this engine is tactfully not specified on a trunk lid of Fords, which are completed with this engine (Focus, C-Max, B-Max, Fiesta, Ecosport and Mondeo). For the same reason BMW has refused traditional way of naming cars, when the first number would indicate the model, and the last two – the engine volume (so now, for example, BMW 528 has 2.8 liter engine, as you might think, but only 2.0). Not to mention the fact that Formula 1 cars have only 1.6 liters under the hood!
2. Cylinders will be smaller. The times of huge V12s are over. In the race for economy and ecology, manufacturers have to cut off unnecessary “pots”. In the past, three-cylinder engines could only be found on inflatable boats, but now – for example, under the hoods of almost all MINIs of the new generation. Ford’s EcoBoost also has three cylinders, which didn’t prevent it from becoming the first-ever unit to win “Engine of the Year” honors for three years in a row. This summer, Nissan showed an engine of its bolide ZEOD RC, which will take part in 24 Hours of Le Mans: it also has only three cylinders and 1,5 liters of volume, but its capacity is 400 “horses”. However, in this case it is a hybrid unit, so a part of this “herd” is fed with electricity.
3. The engine has been one of the heaviest parts in the car for a long time. But now, for example, the EcoBoost weighs 97 kg, and the aforementioned Nissan’s ZEOD RC weighs 40. Both these motors can be easily placed on a luggage shelf of an airplane and even fit into a rucksack. Among other things, this means more freedom for car designers. After all, such a unit can fit not only under the hood, but also, say, in the glove compartment.
4. Temperatures will go up Together with the power, the working temperatures of the engines also go up. With modern engines, they are about 30% higher than they were in the eighties. It increases requirements to oils, especially in a city mode, where acceleration at stoplights alternates with work at idling speed in a traffic jam. Experts strongly advise to change the oil at least once every 15,000 km, even if the manufacturer (as the same BMW) recommends this procedure half as often.
5. The worst for the engine is when it is not warmed up. It suffers itself, your wallet (higher fuel consumption in this mode), and nature (dirtier exhaust). To solve this problem, Ford for the EcoBoost: used conductive cast iron as the material, created a complex cooling system of several circuits, built the exhaust manifold in the cylinder head: now the exhaust gases also warm up the engine. As a result, it takes just over a minute to warm up the engine to the optimum temperature, instead of 3-4 minutes in its predecessors.
6. Three whales, on which 140 “horses” of this motor (and the majority of others with small volume but decent power) stand proudly, are direct injection, variable valve timing and turbocharging. You can not delve into what is hidden behind these terrible terms, but know: all these systems are extremely demanding to fuel quality. Perhaps that’s why the EcoBoost 1 liter engine, although it has been produced since 2012, has not yet reached our country.
7. Smart-engine More and more systems in the engine get “brains”. EcoBoost even has an oil pump that adjusts its operating mode to the current situation with the help of a computer in order not to rob the engine of unnecessary power, God forbid. On the one hand, due to it we receive more power and less consumption. On the other hand, in a complex motor there are more systems and components, which can break.
8. 8. Motors will be disposable Repair of a complex and compact engine at a price comparable to the purchase of a new one, and therefore it makes no sense to do it. However, the manufacturer of the EcoBoost promises 400,000 km of mileage, which should be enough for an average driver for 20 years of operation. The timing belt is also capable of lasting the same amount of time without being replaced with the EcoBoost: for this, as well as to reduce noise and friction, it is not running dry but is placed in an oil bath.
9. Reduced consumption All of these engineering feats have one goal – to reduce fuel consumption. The EcoBoost has a combined cycle fuel consumption of 4.5 litres per 100 kilometres. Ford tactfully reminds: such car is able to pay for itself much faster, than the one completed with voracious monster 1,6. We should add from ourselves: this kid has something to boast of before more serious engines. Thus, from 1 liter of volume Ford EcoBoost squeezed out more “horses”, than even Porsche for 911 Turbo model. The 911 gets 137 “horses” from each liter, but here, as you remember, it’s 140.
“International Engine of the Year” The path to the title of International Engine of the Year – the most prestigious award for engines in Europe – lies through points awarded to applicants by 82 automotive journalists from 35 countries. The results are announced at the Engine Expo in Stuttgart. In addition to its three wins in this competition, the 1.0-liter EcoBoost has received 13 different awards since its introduction, and was the first three-cylinder engine to be named to Ward’s list of the 10 Best Engines in the United States.
1.0l Ecoboost what it is and what it’s all about
And so first and foremost is the 3-cylinder engine, which is comparable to and partially even superior to the 1.6L 4-cylinder engines.
This engine was born thanks to engineers at Ford’s technical centers in Aachen, Germany, and Danton, UK.
The 3-cylinder engine with two overhead camshafts and 12 valves has two overdrive levels : displacement : 999 cc Power/torque – 75 kW (100 hp) at 5500 rpm / 170 Nm at 4000 rpm – 90 kW (120 hp) at 6000 rpm / 170 Nm at 4000 rpm Over- Boost mode for short periods (200Nm at 1750 rpm, overdrive torque).
Another distinctive feature is the location of the engine. Namely the location of the exhaust system at the front of the car, the intake manifold was at the rear, so the heat output and the quality of cylinder filling is improved.
We will not see here the usual exhaust manifold, as it is assembled to the cylinder head.
Everything new is well forgotten old, so decided the engineers Ford. The cylinder block is made of gray cast iron, and the cylinder head is made of light metal.
Each camshaft has a VCT (variable valve timing) unit for regulation. Valve timing is varied by adjusting the intake and exhaust camshafts.
An additional thermostat on the engine cylinder block is installed to warm up the engine quickly after a cold start.
The most frequently asked question is:
“Do I have a belt or chain installed?”
A timing belt lubricated with engine oil is installed on this engine to drive the camshafts.
A newly developed timing belt drive with oil bath is used to drive the camshafts . The advantages of a timing belt with oil bath compared to an oil lubricated chain drive: – Reduced friction losses (about 20 percent), thus lower fuel consumption and correspondingly reduced CO2 emissions – Reduced noise – No guide rails common to chain drive
– Variable oil pump for power regulation – Toothed oil pump drive belt lubricated with engine oil – Exhaust gas turbocharger for more power and less fuel consumption
– Direct gasoline injection via high-pressure fuel injectors and corresponding high-pressure fuel pump. – Low fuel pressure regulation system in accordance with demand
Engine management system
– New Ford-PCM (Powertrain Control Module) – Motor oil pressure control solenoid valve
– Exhaust gas turbocharger with shutoff valve and air recirculation valve with electro-pneumatic control – Turbocharger has a cooling jacket and is now cooled with antifreeze. – The charge air cooler has been increased in size and has its own electric fan
The exhaust aftertreatment system meets the requirements of the V-emission standard.
The crankshaft pulley has a finely positioned counterweight that reduces vibration on the crankshaft.
The crankshaft pulley is secured by the clamping force of a mounting screw. “Is this enough? But to unscrew it you need a special tool or a 2-meter screwdriver and a lot of swear words.
Due to the variable oil pump, power is adjusted to the necessary oil flow, depending on temperature and speed of the engine.
What FORD recommends for service (on the territory of Ukraine):
every 20,000 km or one year, whichever comes first. And do not be surprised that it is green, all because of the fluorescent pigment.
2 Mandatory replacement of spark plugs at every service. Why so, and all simply qualitative European fuel we have not. And you want a long engine life please change the oil and spark plugs. Since October 2014 replacement of spark plugs every 60 thousand or as per condition.
3. Replace the timing belt at 200,000 km according to the service book. In my experience, I will say that the car will have to leave for a few days as the task is not easy.
4. We also have an oil pump belt that can only be replaced after removing the timing belt, so do not hesitate to change it along with the timing belt. Yes in cost we will increase, but better to replace at once at 200,000km than to pay again later for the same work.
5. The third most popular question, “- At what mileage is it necessary to do valve lash adjustment and is it necessary?” Valve clearance adjustment should be done at 200,000 km, part of the work is done when the belt is replaced. Don’t believe it when they say you have hydro-compensators installed, the clearances are adjusted by replacing the tappet cups. When adjusting may need from 0 to 12 tappet cups, each costs approximately 90-100 UAH.