What is Webasto in the car and the principle of operation of the device
Almost all motorists, not counting the inhabitants of hot countries, know what efforts it takes to prepare for a trip in winter, when the car, parked on the street, is enveloped in frozen snow. Warming up the engine before starting is a mandatory procedure for responsible drivers who care about the heart of their car. The process always takes different amounts of time depending on the air temperature and car model, and wiping the snow off the windshield is certainly not an easy task. The problem is especially acute for the cold regions of Russia, where the temperature reaches -25 ° C and below, and even descends to a mark of -60 ° C.
The weather can be so bad that you literally have to dig out the car before you start it, and being inside without heating is the same as being outside. But even in not so severe winter conditions, the comfort in unheated car is out of question, the problem is especially acute with the presence of children. Every driver is familiar with the classic heater in the car, and the effectiveness of the equipment is not as impressive as in the case of modern Webasto heating systems, allowing for a comfortable start in any weather.
What is Webasto
Everyone has heard about Webasto among car owners, it has already become a common name, and it is usually understood as a variety of starting heaters. In fact Webasto is a well-known German brand, which is more than a hundred years old, it produces innovative heating systems, which are notable for their efficiency and environmental friendliness. The largest German company Webasto is widely known throughout the world, and for all its existence has proved to be only the best. The products have a high level of reliability and quality inherent in the priggish Germans. In addition to heaters, the company also produces other components for the automotive industry, such as air conditioners, autonomous air heaters, roof hatches, and works closely with leading automakers.
Considering what is a Webasto in a car, we should note that most often we mean the heaters, which allow you to preheat the engine, as well as to warm up the interior. Standalone device works without turning on the engine, minimizing the consumption of fuel from the car’s tank. To start Webasto can directly or with a programmed timer, which is very convenient because there is no need to wait for heating. Remote device, usually working within a radius of at least a kilometer, allows you to turn on the heater in the car, even without leaving home. When heating the interior of the Webasto completely defrosts the windshield of the car.
Taking into consideration your car class and operating conditions you can choose one of several modifications of Webasto (Thermo Top Evo 4, Evo5, Evo 5+, Thermo 90). In the Russian climate, the more powerful model Webasto Thermo 90 is used for heating the engine and a large interior, but you can also connect only the heating of the interior or only the engine.
Autonomous heaters are indispensable for cars operated in cold regions, and many drivers have already appreciated the benefits of using compact devices, which are easily mounted on a gasoline or diesel unit and do not take up much space in the hood.
It more than pays for itself in increased engine longevity and low heating up costs. Many German cars also have Webasto heating system, which adds undoubtedly to the comfort.
The principle of Webasto
The compact device fits well in the engine compartment of any car. The power system is connected to the fuel tank, an autonomous heat exchanger is inserted into the cooling circuit, and the device operation control is connected to the on-board network of a car. Depending on the type of preheater, the principle of operation differs, as well as fuel consumption during heating. The devices are:
- Air heaters, the activity of which is mainly aimed at heating the cabin, cargo compartment, etc. without turning on the engine, they are installed in the cabin and maintain a comfortable temperature. When transporting cargo requiring special conditions of transportation, Webasto is a godsend.
- The liquid heaters, installed in the engine compartment, are used for self-heating of the engine and engine oil, as well as the cabin.
Both types of Webasto heaters operate on fuel, air heaters are less consumed – about 0.2 liters per hour, the liquid heater consumes about 0.5 liters of fuel at the same time, but considering the fact that the heating usually takes only 15 – 20 minutes, such figures are insignificant. Let’s take a closer look at how different types of Webasto work.
Webasto air heaters
The principle of operation of Webasto heaters of this type is similar to the work of a hair dryer. The device warms up the air due to the heat generated by the combustion of fuel. The electric pump performs the function of feeding the gasoline (if the engines are diesel, then the diesel fuel) into the combustion chamber. Through the intakes air from outside enters the burner nozzle, then the fuel is distributed through the pipe. After the mixture is formed, the combustion process takes place, which provokes the release of heat by the heat exchanger. The air intake is also carried out from the interior of the car for its subsequent heating. The circulation is characterized by a continuous process, so that a minimum of time is required for heating. In the case of a diesel car, diesel fuel supplied from the tank is used. And the principle of operation is similar: with diesel fuel is mixed with air taken from the outside, the mixture is ignited by a glow plug and burns in a chamber, blown from the outside by a fan for the heat to enter the interior of the car.
Webasto liquid heaters
Miniature devices, mounted in the under-hood, are placed taking into account the peculiarities of the specific engine compartment. They are connected to the cooling system for heating the engine and the working fluid and the ventilation system for heating the interior. The principle of operation is slightly different from the operation of the air heater Webasto. At the same time with the fuel supply the air enters the combustion chamber, the swirler is directly involved in the mixture formation to improve its quality. Once the fuel and oxygen are mixed, ignition is triggered by a spark. The combustion of the mixture heats the coolant and a special pump is responsible for its circulation, which warms up both the engine and the radiator. The automation of the process avoids overheating and does not deviate from environmental standards. The Webasto control module controls the functioning of the elements of the device and the procedure of ignition of the mixture in the combustion chamber.
How to use Webasto
Each model of the preheater is accompanied by an instruction manual with explanations of how to use the Webasto device. We will look at the basic settings and how to control the heater.
How to start Webasto
Starting the device, unlike an ordinary heater, it is possible to implement any convenient way. So, in addition to the fact that you can turn on the heater on the car manually directly from the cabin, remote methods of turning on, available depending on the model:
- mini-timer, which provides a three-point program setting of the heating for the day;
- key fob, a small remote control with a range of at least 1 km;
- modular timer that allows you to program the car heating for a week, it is also possible to select the specific days when you need heating;
- Your cell phone can also be used to control Webasto, models equipped with GSM-module have this function.
Turn on the Webasto heater from the comfort of your home, and by the time you get ready, your car will be ready to go. You can also turn the device off remotely or from the cabin.
Malfunctions in the form of flame failure during operation, lack of combustion, overheating or low voltage on-board network cause the heater to turn off automatically. In case of overheating it is necessary to wait for cooling, and then restart the device. It is also necessary to check the air duct for permeability, and if the voltage is low, you need to charge the battery and restart the heater.
Starting Webasto from the phone
To control the heating system Webasto will need to engage a special GSM-module that is installed in the car, it allows you to manage the device from a fairly decent distance, simply by sending a message to the number of the device. Available control from five different phones, and there are applications that provide control Webasto with a smartphone or tablet.
How to set the time on the Webasto
The time settings are made with the Webasto heater turned off by holding down the “set” button while pressing “forward” (or “backward”, it makes no difference). When you release “set”, the time appears with the characteristic flashing icon. Then the values are selected with the “forward” and “backward” buttons and the set time is saved with the “set” key or after switching off the display.
Remote control of the Webasto
The Webasto can also be remotely controlled by means of a remote control, but in view of interference over too long distances, control may not be possible. The signal level is indicated by an indicator. Using the key fob is much more convenient than programming the timer. The remote control turns on, turns off the device, and also allows you to set the desired operating time of the heater.
Setting the Webasto timer
Pre-programming the start of Webasto to within a minute is available through the timer. In some cases, this is also convenient, for example, when the car owner makes daily trips on a certain schedule. In addition, it is the most economical option. The timer is located in the cabin, and it is set in this way:
- Switching on the device manually is done by pressing a button, the display will show how much time until the end of work and the indicator that confirms the operation.
- Automatic switching on by setting the on time, the display will show the number of the heating/venting program.
- Manual deactivation by pushbutton or automatic deactivation, which is performed after the set operating time has elapsed, the display will go off.
- The time can be displayed by pressing “forward” and “backward”, when the heater is switched on, it shows how much time remains to the end.
- You can set the start time by pressing “set” and within 10 seconds use the “forward” and “backward” keys to set the start time.
- The program can be deleted with a short press “set”.
- The programs are selected by pressing “set” for 10 seconds until the desired number appears.
- The duration of operation is set as follows: press and hold “set” + “forward” or “backward”, the time will be displayed with a blinking icon. Press and hold “set” + “forward” or “backward” again. The display will show the operating mode and duration saved in the program. Use the “forward” and “backward” buttons to set the desired duration, then press “set” to save or wait for the display to turn off.
- You can change the remaining working time between 10 and 60 minutes with the “forward” and “backward” keys.
- Heating/ventilation mode (if assumed by the model). Press “set”, then press again and hold it, after which the current mode icon appears on the display. The selection is made by pressing “forward” and “backward” without releasing “set”.
Main advantages and disadvantages
Webasto is used both in winter and in summer in ventilation mode, and the range of models and the choice of controls allow you to pick up the device for any requirements. Among the advantages of the device:
- The fastest and most effective heating of the engine;
- heating of the interior, the device also helps to defrost the windows of the car;
- heated engine is less worn and less likely to malfunction;
- saving time with the use of remote control;
- reducing the volume of harmful emissions;
- compactness and small weight (5-7 kg) of the heater;
- Simplicity of construction, which provides reliability and durability of the device.
Webasto has the only disadvantage – the price of the device (from 25000 rubles), which is not everyone can afford. Some owners also noted that the device quickly drains the battery, and if it is already of advanced age, the car may simply not start.
There are a variety of heaters on sale, so it is not difficult to find a suitable device for a particular model of car. Feasibility of buying a Webasto should be considered on an individual basis. If the car is operated in harsh climates, the Webasto will simply be an indispensable component and, despite the price of the device, such a purchase will be very successful and relevant.
What is a Webasto in a car?
Operating a car in the cold season reduces its resource and creates discomfort for the driver and passengers. Exactly until the units and the interior are warmed up. It would be logical to start heating in advance, even before the engine is started, and even more so before people appear in the car. It is possible, there is enough energy stored in the fuel tank. The company Webasto in the first half of the twentieth century began producing autonomous heaters, using this energy, which has historically made its name in the name of such devices. What is Webasto in the car is known to many, but it is useful to understand the peculiarities of the implementation of the process of autonomous heating at the modern level.
The functional purpose of autonomous heaters
- Complete autonomy, only power from the car battery is used, even the fuel can be supplied from a separate flow tank;
- possibility of local and remote control of the heating;
- Action of the heater directly to the air in the cabin or through the engine cooling system, providing a forced circulation by an additional electric pump through the regular heater radiator
- provision of fire safety, burning in a closed volume in the absence of the driver in the car;
- high thermal capacity, inaccessible for electric heaters;
- availability of the engine preheating mode.
Similarly, a security alarm system with remote or programmed engine start modes can work, but it has its disadvantages along with its advantages. To understand the fundamental difference between these methods of heating, it is necessary to understand what is Webasto in the car and how it works, as well as the composition of its equipment.
The structure of the autonomous heater
The fuel burns in the combustion chamber, where it is fed by a pump and atomized through a nozzle. The initial ignition is performed by a spark plug or glow plug, similar to diesel candles. After warming up, the spark plug power is turned off, and the ignition becomes glow ignition. The principle of operation of the Webasto for diesel is not particularly different from the gasoline version, the only difference is the method of initial ignition. Although sometimes a separate thermal branch of the diesel fuel in the main tank of the car is used.
The combustion torch is supported by forced air supply, and the exhaust gases are vented to the atmosphere through its own exhaust system. The heat transfer paths depend on the particular implementation of the heater.
- The air heater operates on the principle of air passing through a heat exchanger, the streams of the burning mixture and the passenger compartment air are of course separated. The energy exchange is organized according to the principle of maximum heat extraction from the flare. The warm air is blown by a fan into the cabin and quickly raises the temperature. It’s easy to heat even large volumes, such as a bus cabin.
- The liquid heater increases the temperature of the antifreeze pumped through it. At the same time, the heat is transferred to the passenger compartment and the engine cooling jacket. An additional water pump is cut into the system, working from the on-board power grid. The car heater fan turns on, i.e. otherwise the system works the same way as when the engine is running.
Ways to control the installation
Since all modes of the device are electrically controlled, it is quite easy to organize several ways:
- direct activation with the remote control button;
- timer operation, when the unit is programmed to turn on and off at certain times, either once or periodically;
- Automatic operation according to temperature sensors, in severe frosts it is important not to let it drop to dangerous thresholds, the principle of Webasto for gasoline implies a wider tolerance than even that of the winter diesel engine;
- remote activation, when the remote control can be activated from a considerable distance;
- Without overloading the remote control with too much radio signal power and struggling with interference, the device can be controlled via cellular communication, a common SIM card is used, the user controls via SMS or cell phone application.
A lot of things the webasto can also do on its own. It is able to monitor the condition of the battery, which must not be brought to a deep discharge, not allowing then to start the engine. The self-diagnostics is also a part of the built-in functions, in which the control electronics is similar to the engine control unit. It is also possible to read error codes and make surface diagnostics. For this purpose, there is a control-diagnostic interface.
Advantages and disadvantages of Webasto
The device can be considered extremely convenient and even indispensable for cars operated in harsh climates. Not without reason, it is included in the standard equipment of many cars of the northern version. Users have long appreciated its advantages:
- The engine will be ready to start at any time, even at temperatures when its normal state of operation is impossible without special measures;
- warm interior and easy-to-start warmed up engine awaits the driver;
- engine life is significantly saved, it does not need almost continuous operation at extreme outside temperatures;
- Modern engines, especially turbocharged diesels in passenger cars, emit very little heat when running, as they have a high efficiency, this engine can “freeze” even in the turned on at low speed without load, not to mention the heat supply to the cabin, so Webasto can support it even while running;
- Issues with keeping the engine running warm have not only technical aspects, but also legal ones, and parking with the engine running in residential areas is prohibited, and the webasto operates quietly and almost does not emit harmful substances with the exhaust;
- In comparison with the consumption of fuel by the engine, the autonomous heater is much more economical.
It is clear that it is not without disadvantages:
- the main disadvantage is the high price of the installation, especially from a well-known manufacturer and with many service functions;
- to understand the modes of operation and control is sometimes not easier than with a car, an autonomous heater is constantly becoming more and more complicated;
- consuming energy from the battery, the autonomous heater does not provide its recharge, the automatics will not let completely discharged, but also it will not be able to work, sometimes it is necessary to use a separate battery;
- the layout of the system can cause difficulties in compact cars with a tightly packed engine compartment;
- the presence of exhaust gases does not allow using the Webasto device in enclosed spaces.
Sometimes it seems reasonable to combine the presence of a standalone heater and alarm system with auto-start mode in one car. And if there is availability of electrical network – and electric heater.
Resource of the installation is many years, it almost does not wear out quickly. You can say with confidence that in areas with cold winters, Webasto will pay for itself, removing from the driver a lot of technical and psychological problems. Especially if he understands what a Webasto is in a car, and knows how to use it correctly. Then this installation will take the important place of car air conditioner for cars, used in the south, where without it a personal transport is already unthinkable.