Sealants used in punctured tires
Car tires evolved with the advances in technology and with the help of the geniuses of their time. Vulcanized rubber used for tires was discovered by Charles Goodyear only in 1839. Further, in 1888, John Dunlop has registered the patent for the pneumatic tire invented by him, but only for a bicycle, and already in 1895 André Michelin for the first time in automobile industry history has undertaken the first attempt to put the car on full-fledged real wheels with pneumatic tires. Exactly since that time together with innovations and advantages we inherited certain requirements, which are simply impossible to ignore – the tightness of tires. Now we would like to touch upon the topic of tire sealants, i.e. alternatives for repairing tires practically in the field. Learn about all the pros and cons of this repair.
Sealants used in punctured tires
The market of sealants in our country was formed a long time ago, in this market diversity, we will try to understand.
We would like to say at once that a full-fledged spare tire will always be better than the use of sealant. But there are still situations when the use of sealant is justified – the lack of a spare, the lack of a second spare, a simpler way to fix the wheel without having to remove it from the car.
For the test we used one model tire size 165/70/R13 and seven spray tire sealants from different manufacturers. The puncture in the tire was made with a puncher (diameter 3 mm), and then the repair was carried out according to the recommended instructions written on the body sealant.
General rules for all tire sealants
1. It is necessary to eliminate the cause of the puncture by removing a nail, self-tapping screw, etc. from the tire. In addition, if you know the location of the puncture, the wheel should be turned so that the hole is not at the lowest point of the tire. Lift on a jack and turn or at the very least drive or push the car a little. 2. The car’s wheel must be completely flat. 3, Only start driving if the wheel rim has come off the ground after being treated with sealant. That is, the air supplied by the compressor is held in the tire.
From general to individual or direct test of tire sealants
1. The first number in our today’s test was a preparation of the German company Liqui Moly Reifen-Reparatur-Spray, which composition can be used to repair punctures in car tires with and without a tube. We pre-shake the can with the sealant and connect it to the flat tire and press the trigger valve. With a slight hiss the fluid begins to fill the punctured tire. It took about a minute for the German preparation to reach the end, during this time the wheel rim had time to rise considerably above the ground – let’s start. After two kilometers we measure the tire pressure, on the manometer scale it’s 1,4 atm. We raise the pressure in the tire to two atmospheres and continue driving. The following pressure measurement is carried out after crossing the finish line of 10 km distance. This time the arrow of the pressure gauge, having counted off some big divisions on its scale, stops opposite to the fourth one marked with number two. We fix this result and make a corresponding record in the final report – 2.0 atm.
2. The second number in our test are two formulations of the Belgian company CRC with a short but expressive name FIX of 500 ml and 300 ml for tires over 185R14 and R13?R14 respectively. FIX sealants are used to repair punctures in tubed and tubeless tires of cars, trucks and motorcycles. FIX foam compound took only a few seconds to get the wheel rim off the ground and half a minute later the tire was “poured” with pressure to the point where it became almost as tight and resonant as a drum and a sleeve of white foam stretched towards the sun from the puncture site. We disconnect the hose from the nipple of the wheel and start. After the first 5? kilometer lap, the foam still continued to slowly break out through the puncture. Checking the pressure in the tire shows that the value is 2.8 atm, let’s bleed the pressure to 2 atm and continue driving. After the next five kilometers the tire pressure increases by 0.3 atm, resulting in 2.3 atm. However, according to the rules of our tests, the package of 500 ml is not designed to work with R13 wheels, so it participated in our test on a non-competitive basis. But it has to be said that its counterpart in 300 ml did not pump up, or rather pumped up, but just as it should. Just a minute after its activation, as soon as the tap of the cylinder was disconnected from the nipple of the wheel, nothing indicated that we had a punctured tire. Immediately we measure the tire pressure – the result is 2.0 atm, after which the car leaves for the 10? During the first 5 km run the tire pressure dropped to 1.6 atm, we raise it to the appointed 2.0 atm. After the next five kilometers, we record the result – 2.0 atm in the final report.
The third participant of the first day of tests became means American company Hi-Gear Tire Doctor. As well as in case of all other preparations of company Hi-Gear presented in our market, on a back party of a spray can Tire Doctor the detailed instruction in Russian on rules of work with the given means is placed. In particular, it said that the composition Tire Doctor serves to eliminate punctures as in the chamber, and in tubeless car tires. The contents of the can of Tire Doctor was quite enough to tear the rim of the deflated wheel from the ground, although it was visible to the naked eye that the pressure in the tire was still very far from optimum. Two kilometers after we had started the trip we checked the pressure – the result was 0.6 atm. We pump up the wheel to the prescribed 2.0 atm and drive on. It should be said that this time we were lucky as we had only 3 kilometers left to the “field base” we’d set up. If it turned out to be a little longer – we would hardly have reached the finish line on our own. But so, however, with a flat tire, which was rapidly evaporating the rest of the compressed air, we still got to the shelter. A minute later, when the pressure in the tire had finally equalized with the atmospheric pressure and the wheel rim rested peacefully on the warm ground, the final minutes of the test in the column Hi-Gear Tire Doctor, appeared record – 0.0 atm. With such a doctor the life of a punctured wheel will not last long.
4. The instruction to the preparation Pingo Reifenpannen-Spray, the fourth participant of our test, says briefly that this preparation is intended for elimination of punctures in tubeless car tires, and that one can drive 5-10 km at a speed not exceeding 50 km/h on the tire treated with the sealant. In other words, the authors of this text are absolutely sure that nowadays 5-10 km range is quite enough to get to the nearest tire fitting shop. Admittedly, controversial and at the same time causing some wariness opinion. We shake it, connect it, press it… Not to say that very rapidly, but at the same time very confidently the punctured wheel starts to increase in size. When the time comes to hit the road, a well-inflated tire sets a quite optimistic mood. After a two-kilometer ride we stop to check the tire pressure. The result was 1.4 atm, we pump up to 2.0 atm and go further. It is clear that never having met on our way any tire fitting, we come to the finish of 10 km where we repeated the tire pressure measurement – the result is 1.75 atm. Having investigated the place of a puncture, we were convinced that air does not flow through it any more, after what the record 1,75 atm appeared in the final report. At the same time, it should be noted that objectively there was nothing that prevented us from continuing to drive on this wheel.
5. At number five in our test was a preparation of the Polish brand K2 called Tire Doctor, which is designed to eliminate punctures in tubed and tubeless car tires. Among other things, the instructions for this drug say that due to the high flammability of gas it contains, it is forbidden to inflate the tire filled with this gas. Therefore, before you fill the cover, treated with sealant K2, with compressed air, it is necessary to completely bleed it flammable gas. Two kilometers after starting to drive, the pressure indicator in a tire treated with K2 is 1.4 atm. After removing flammable gas from the tire, fill it with compressed air to a pressure value of 2.0 atm. In our case, when we had a powerful car compressor “Berkut” at hand, to deflate and inflate the wheel did not take us more than five minutes, but those motorists who have in the trunk of the car only found room for a foot, or worse, a hand pump, still better refrain from buying such sealant. Although at the finish line of the Polish Tire Doctor showed a very good result, to the 10? mu kilometer composition of the sealant finally cope with a puncture, while the rate of compressed air pressure in the tire was 1.85 atm.
6. The sixth participant of our testing was the means of French company ELF S.O.S. Tyre Repair. Well, the very name of this preparation promises the immediate and safe solving of the problem of the flat tire. The expression it contains is such that a free interpretation may be interpreted as “Do not worry, I am with you”. Thus this exclamation is addressed to a wide circle of auto- and motor-owners, who use tubeless and tubeless tires. From the very first seconds after pressing the valve, the actions of the “French lifeguard” were clear and confident. It took him less than a minute to “go all the way”. During this time, the wheel tire regained its former strength and resiliency. After two kilometers, we measured its internal pressure and got a result of 2.4 atm. And although the puncture was still a bit prickly at that point, we reduced the tire pressure to the prescribed two atmospheres. It turned out, however, that S.O.S. Tyre Repair still had some “powder in its gunpowder”: by the finish line the pressure in the wheel, hermetically “patched” with a French compound, again increased and came to 2.2 atm.
7. The last participant of our tests was another representative of Germany, a preparation produced by Motip Dupli AG Car Tyre Repair. The composition of this sealant is designed to repair punctures in tubeless car tires. The contents of this spray was quite enough to start driving without fear that the tire might “jam”. After about 2000 meters we measured the pressure in the tire, the result was 0.4 atm. But this time, as in the case with K2 preparation, before pumping up the wheel with compressed air, you need to let all the flammable gas out of the tire. Let down, inflate the tire to the proper 2.0 atm. The next time we measured the pressure in this tire after the finish at the 10-th kilometer. By this time the puncture site had already been finally sealed with tire sealant, although the compressed air pressure in the tire had more than halved in the same time and did not exceed 0.9 atm.
Analysis of the sealant spreading and drying inside the tire.
The next day, after loading all the treated wheels into the car, we went with them to the nearest tire shop. The “dissection” of the wheels showed the following.
The inner surface of the tires, treated with preparations Reifen-Reparatur-Spray manufactured by Liqui Moly and Reifenpannen-Spray by Pingo company, was completely dry and only the presence of a thin layer of shiny film and two small black dots, which, having looked closely, could be seen on the inner surface of the tires, testified about their participation in our testing.
In the remaining five tires, which were treated with foam sealants, we found a fairly significant amount of the working composition accumulated in them in the form of liquid, which can be clearly seen in the photos.
The latter circumstance in the case of products manufactured by Motip Dupli AG and K2 does not play a special role as these products are designed for short-term repairs, that is, you have flat tire, you process it with a composition of such sealant and then crawl straight away at a speed not exceeding 50 km / h to the nearest tire fitting, where the doctor will finally eliminate the cause of the hole. And as for the substances from companies Hi-Gear, CRC and ELF, which may stay in the tire for a long time, their liquidity, or rather their active state, is a necessary condition to maintain their performance.
Tire sealant test results
LIQUI MOLY REIFENREPARATUR-SPRAY – Tire Sealant Test
PRODUCT ANALYSIS The product is intended for the temporary sealing of punctures in car tires with and without a tube. Tire pressure created by the composition of the car sealant in the tire: 1.4 atm. Test diagram: 0-2 km – 1.4 atm / paging the wheel to 2.0 atm / 2-10 km – 2.0 atm. Tire pressure at the finish line: 2.0 atm. The preparation creates quite enough pressure in a tire for safe driving at low speeds. Capable of quickly dealing with a puncture. Its composition is evenly distributed over the entire inner area of the tire, and after drying it leaves almost no visible traces of its presence. Disadvantages: high cost.
CRC FIX – tire sealant, test
CRC FIX is designed for long term express sealing of punctures in tubed and tubeless tires of car and motorcycle wheels. Tire pressure created by the composition of automotive sealant in the tire: 2.0 atm. Tire test diagram: 0-5 km – 1.6 atm / 2.0 atm wheel inflation / 5-10 km – 2.0 atm. Tire pressure at the finish: 2.0 atm. The sealant creates enough pressure in a tire to drive safely at different speeds. Able to quickly cope with a puncture. The composition of CRC FIX is active for a long time and thus prevents the emergence of new air leaks. Disadvantages: After drying on the inner walls of the tire sealant forms an adhesive layer, fragments of which must be removed when repairing the tire by professional means.
HI-GEAR TIRE DOCTOR – tire sealant, test
The emergency sealant composition is designed for long-term express sealing of punctures in car tires with and without a tube. Tire pressure created by the composition of the car sealant in the tire: 0.6 atm. Test diagram: 0-2 km – 0.6 atm / 2.0 atm / 2-10 km – 0.0 atm. Tire pressure at the finish line: 0.0 atm. The sealant compound creates enough pressure in the tire to start driving at low speeds. The compound remains active for a long period of time, thus reducing the probability of new compressed air leaks in the wheel. Disadvantages: The HI-GEAR TIRE DOCTOR emergency sealant failed to cope with a puncture.
PINGO REIFENPANNEN-SPRAY – tire sealant, test
PRODUCT ANALYSIS The product is intended for a short-term express sealing of punctures in tubeless car tires. Tire pressure created by the composition of car sealant in the tire: 1.4 atm. Test diagram: 0-2 km – 1.4 atm / 2.0 atm / 2-10 km – 1.75 atm. Tire pressure at the finish line: 1.75 atm. PINGO REIFENPANNEN-SPRAY creates quite enough pressure in a tire to drive safely at recommended speeds. Capable of quickly dealing with a puncture. The sealant is evenly distributed all over the inner surface of the tire, and leaves practically no residue after drying. Disadvantages: Not detected
The best tire sealants
A punctured wheel on the highway is a common occurrence. The damage must be repaired immediately, but it can be done only in a tire repair shop. Spare tire will help to get to a service station, but what to do if two wheels are damaged, or there are no physical strength to untwist the mounting bolts? In this situation, sealants designed to repair punctures can help. Even a fragile girl can cope with the operation to restore the structure of the tire and the pressure level. The best tire sealants will allow you to drive 100-150 km without repair. That’s enough to get you to a place that will provide technical assistance.
Auto repair chemicals vary in their effectiveness. The VyborExperta.ru team decided to find out which means you can count on in a difficult road situation. Experts selected products of well-known brands, studied the properties, working parameters, effectiveness of action. When compiling the review, car owners’ reviews, opinions of specialists of service stations and service centers were taken into account.
The main attention was paid to the following parameters of sealants for tire repair:
- Composition – produce aerosols based on rubber, copolymers or cellulose fibers;
- Purpose – produce vulcanizers for urgent repairs or preventive maintenance;
- Temperature range – not all compositions are able to retain their characteristics at severe frosts;
- Recommended wheel diameter – the volume of the repair agent is limited, two sprays may be required for large radius tires;
- Puncture size – auto chemicals can be designed to repair punctures from 0.3 to 0.8 cm;
- Type of tires – different sprays are recommended for tubeless and tubeless tires;
- Functionality – the use of auxiliary components in the formulation gives the sprays additional functions: protection against corrosion of the cords, delamination of rubber, overheating and oxidative processes;
- Duration – limited for all formulations, it is possible to drive on the repaired wheel from 10 km.
Not all of the studied products are of high quality. Failure to meet the stated volume, inability to seal the tire reliably – sealants with such defects were excluded from our rating.
The best sealants for tubeless tires
Compounds developed for tubeless systems protect not only from punctures, but also from air leakage through the gaps between the bead and the disc. Means have proven themselves in the repair of cracks up to 3 mm in size. Most bead sealants for tubeless tires dry quickly, allowing you to continue on the road after a short break. We offer 4 brands of repair sprays and liquids which are effective, functional and easy to use.
Motip Black Line
Motip Holding was formed by the merger of Swiss and Dutch companies, specializing in the production of automotive chemicals, paints and repair “kits”. The aerosol spray of the premium Black Line series is designed to restore the tightness of the wheels of passenger cars. It is a latex-based emergency compound that seals the punctures and inflates the wheel. The special formula of the components allows you to form strong bonds at the molecular level when the cuts get blocked.
No need to remove the tire for application, just drive it carefully until the spool is in the vertical position with the valve up. The cylinder is complete with a hose that is connected to the tire valve. It takes about a minute to pump in the repair compound. After filling you can immediately hit the road, but during the first 5 km should not exceed the speed of 30-35 km / hr.
- Easy application;
- Long lasting effect;
- Components safe for rubber;
- Low price;
- Convenient for storage in the trunk.
Easily handles a large number of punctures on a single tire. Cylinder is enough to seal 10 small holes. Aerosol can repair tread damage from hitting a large diameter nail.
Developed by an American company for repairing motorcycles, sedans, SUVs and trucks. The 650 ml volume allows you to repair a large crossover tire or use to repair two passenger car tires. Instantly seals punctures up to 6 mm, copes well with gaps near rims. It is based on latex, which has good adhesion to rubber. Fills the hole, cures quickly, prevents air loss and pressure drop. The repaired wheel can be inflated after 1-2 minutes to continue driving, having previously driven a few tens of meters.
The aerosol is non-toxic, odorless and its components do not have a negative effect on the tire material. Hose with valve for connection to the spool is included. No additional balancing is required after application.
- Long storage life;
- Can be used for preventive maintenance;
- No additional tools are required for the work.
- No detailed instructions for use.
- Brush for application included;
- Good elasticity provides a tight fit to the board;
- Does not let air in;
- Large volume.
- Squeezing the tire bead is recommended on a tire changer.
It is used for repair of boards, restoration of the hermetic layer. It is produced by a Russian company on the basis of airtight rubber. It is characterized by high elasticity, durability, wear resistance. It is recommended for repairing air leaks in gaps up to 3 mm in size. Used for maintenance of trucks, cars.
After curing it forms a shrinkage-free layer, which provides a tight fit of a flange to a wheel disk. It is applied with a brush, which is included into the set. Dries fast, when it is necessary to remove it for routine repair it is easily detached from a car disc. You can use a buffer cleaner to dilute the thickened mass.
- Maintains elasticity at low temperatures;
- Has good adhesion to the rubber;
- Long life;
- Withstands high loads.
- Requires quality surface preparation.
The best tire sealants for tubed tires
Repair and emergency sealants for tires with tubes are available. They come in the form of sprays or liquids. These are effective products for dealing with punctures. They are not used to protect against air loss near the bead of tubeless rubber. The design takes into account that the product can get between the tire and the tube.
Hi-Gear Anti Puncture
A liquid tire sealant that is used for puncture prevention. Poured into the tire, it can be used in repair work. Components include carbon fiber, polymers that are used in the production of body armor. It is in a constant liquid state, but it is necessary to puncture the wheel, as the liquid fills the hole and polymerizes. A strong elastic fungus is formed with a cap inside the tube, which is pressed by pressure to the tire.
One filling is enough to automatically repair dozens of small punctures. The product is designed to plug 8-10 5-6 mm holes. “Antiprokol” does not freeze at negative temperatures, does not require balancing, is evenly distributed under the centrifugal force of gravity. Reagents do not have an aggressive effect on rubber, prolonging its service life.
- Does not accumulate at the bottom of the wheel when parked for long periods of time;
- Does not cause corrosion;
- The volume is enough to service an off-road vehicle;
- Cures quickly in case of emergency repairs.
- Rarely found in retail stores.
Liqui Moly Reifen-Reparatur-Spray
A spray for repairing and creating low pressure in the wheel. The main component is a synthetic rubber that plugs punctures. Recommended for passenger cars and crossovers. The aerosol is gentle on the rubber, protecting it from delamination. Vulcanizer is universal, it can be used for repairing defects of tubeless tires in the tread area.
To use it, you will need to set the wheel in such a position that the valve is positioned horizontally. The spray is connected to the spool with the adapter that comes with the kit. The product fills the entire volume of the chamber, and then you need to start a slow movement. The pressure is enough to get to the tire shop, but if necessary, it can be increased with the regular pump.
- Easy application;
- Clogs the holes quickly;
- Maintains pressure for a long time;
- Effective for large-diameter tires.
- Not recommended for vehicles with pressure sensors.
Best Tire Repair Sealants
It is not always possible to find a tire repair shop within a radius of 10-15 km. In this situation, a sealant for punctured tires can help, with the help of which you can repair a flat tire. Some compositions retain their effectiveness within a day, allowing you to move at a speed of 40-50 km / h. According to feedback from small car owners, after using specialized sprays, the services of tire specialists were not needed.
The development of the Japanese company attracts by its rapidity. It is based on synthetic rubber and high-molecular polymers. In a flat tire, you need to find the object that punctured the tire, take it out, shake the cylinder and fill the rubber through the nipple. As a result of polymerization a vulcanizing film is formed, which spreads evenly over the tube, filling even the smallest punctures.
Effective in repairing gaps between the bead and the disc. Has high durability with good elasticity. Does not have a negative effect on the rubber, does not contain toxic components. No balancing is required after application.
- Eliminates punctures up to 5 mm in diameter;
- Recommended for trucks, off-road cars;
- Long lasting effect;
- Fast setting;
- Low price.
- In short supply at retailers.
Akfix R60 OTV60
The product, developed by a Turkish company, is intended for single repair of one wheel. It contains artificial rubber, which when sprayed fills in the cracks and holes, entering into a vulcanization reaction. The result is a durable, dense patching, which seals the wheel and keeps its properties for 100-120 km. To eliminate leaks, it is fed through the nipple into the chamber. The entire volume of the cylinder is used. After filling – it is enough to drive slowly for 1-2 km, and then you can make sure that the repaired wheel holds working pressure.
Does not react with metal parts of nipple, cords, does not have a negative effect on the rubber. No additional tools are required to connect the nozzle.
- Restriction against accidental triggering;
- Remains effective at sub-zero temperatures;
- High curing speed;
- Convenient format for storage in the car.
- Small volume.
How to choose a tire sealant
From car owners you can not always hear only positive reviews about sealants. This is due to the fact that compositions not intended for certain types of repairs were used, or the manufacturer’s instructions were violated. Before buying, it is necessary to clarify the type of tire sealant for punctures, the temperature range of application, the type of car tires for which the curing agent is intended. The application takes into account the diameter of the hole left by a nail or shard of glass. Only properly selected spray will provide effective sealing of the punctures.
The recipe of the products manufacturers keep secret, specifying only the main components. All brands use rubber, which is the basic component of rubber. This polymer is diluted with thinners, and if necessary, foaming agents are added. No substances that can cause metal corrosion are used in the composition, as vulcanizers are pumped through the nipple. In the liquid sealants are added reagents that do not allow to solidify at low temperatures or dry out when heated. This ensures even distribution while driving.
Type of sealant
Manufacturers offer to buy prophylactic and emergency repair compounds. To prevent a sharp decrease in pressure in the tire allows the constant presence of the reagent inside the wheel. The compound is distributed evenly over the entire surface by gravity, and when a puncture occurs, it vulcanizes the hole formed. Preventive sealants contain substances that cool the tread, improve thermoregulation, and prevent delamination.
Emergency – help to eliminate a puncture, to raise the pressure in the wheel. These agents are supplied as aerosols, which are filled into cylinders under high pressure. A distinctive feature is the high speed of polymerization, a strong curing plug. A separate category of sealants is designed for tubeless tire beads. They are applied with a brush in a thick layer, which compensates the abrasion of rubber.
Manufacturers take into account the design features of the wheel, offering tools for repairing tubeless and tubeless car tires. Wheels have different temperature conditions during driving, the inner surface has different adhesion, and punctures are different in structure. Each type of rubber is matched to the compound, so when buying, you need to consider the equipment of your car. If one of the tubeless wheels has a camera, then preference should be given to universal sealants, equally effective when working with tires of different designs.
Diameter of a puncture
It is possible to run over a thorn, a small nail, a piece of glass or a steel part. The puncture can have different diameters. Most manufacturers offer compounds that can cure a hole from 3 to 6 mm. The larger this figure, the more likely it is to cope with the damage without the help of a tire repair shop. The driver should keep in mind that compounds are not designed to repair side cuts.
In stores there are products from European, Asian countries. Not all aerosols retain their working characteristics at negative temperatures. There are means, effective at 35 degrees of frost. There are compositions that are recommended to be stored at temperatures down to minus 10. If you do not take this factor into account, then you can at a critical moment be left without means for repair.
Which tire sealant is better
Companies offer universal compositions, but they can not be used to restore the sealant layer of the tire bead. Preventive brands are not designed to increase the pressure in the wheel. For this reason, it is recommended to choose the best compound in each individual category. The VyborExperta.ru team advises the following brands:
- Motip Black Line – for emergency repair of tubeless tires;
- BXZ 7 – for restoring the germolayer of the boards;
- Hi-Gear Antiprokol – for preventive maintenance;
- Liqui Moly Reifen-Reparatur-Spray – for repairing punctures in tubeless tires;
- Akfix R60 OTV60 – for those who drive long distances.
All of the vulcanizers presented in our review are of high quality, but only the compositions that can cope with a large number of punctures are worthy to be in the trunk of your car.